Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Slipstreaming Windows XP/2K Service Pack and Create Bootable CD

BE Member

Default How to Slipstreaming Windows XP/2K Service Pack and Create Bootable CD

I find this link very helpful and a big time saver
    Link

What is Slipstreaming?
    From the website
    Slipstreaming a Service Pack, is the process to integrate the Service Pack into the installation so that with every new installation the Operating System and Service Pack are installed at the same time.
    What do you need?
    Windows XP/2K CD
    CD-W Drive
    ISO Buster (Free to download)
    Nero Burning ROM
    "Network Install" of the Service Pack

Hope you guys find this helpful
    Later

Users Country Flag

Good link. This thread would make for a good sticky.
    Diagram of Hardware Profile
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.

yeah i slipstream my XP cds and saves alot of time

BE Member

Originally posted by pointreyes
    Good link. This thread would make for a good sticky.
    I'm happy you like the link

Users Country Flag

Yeh, saves lots o time...Ive just started using them...

Been using that method of upgrading for a long time now. . .

Definitly a sticky vote from me. . . . .:-)

Processor
    (NW)P4 3.4C | SL793 | Malay | Batch: L342B422 | Pack date: 1/10/04

Motherboard
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe 1016 Bios

Memory
    2 * 512MB OCZ 3700 EB's DDR's

BFG 6800 Ultra OC | 2 * WD Raptors - RAID 0 on ICH5-R | Viewsonic VX2000 20" LCD

Can anyone help me out?.I am stuck at this point below and can't figure out what to do.Can anyone explain what I need to do here?.My folders are labeled in D drive WinXP-CD and XPSP1a with all the contents.LOL an avatar is stuck in there.

"Once the SP1a files are extracted, change to the update folder of the SP1a files (cd update), and type the following command: update /sath to WinXP CD files. In my example the command is update /s:F:\WinXP-CD)."
    Last edited by LastRide; 07-23-2003 at 08:07 PM.

BE Member

Originally posted by LastRide
    Can anyone help me out?.I am stuck at this point below and can't figure out what to do.Can anyone explain what I need to do here?.My folders are labeled in D drive WinXP-CD and XPSP1a with all the contents.LOL an avatar is stuck in there.

"Once the SP1a files are extracted, change to the update folder of the SP1a files (cd update), and type the following command: update /s:path to WinXP CD files. In my example the command is update /s:F:\WinXP-CD)."
    Did you extracted the SP1a files?
    if so just open a dos box and type
    D: (enter)
    cd XPSP1a (enter)
    cd update (enter)
    update /s:D:\WinXP-CD (enter)

Hope that helps

Worked great,thanks.
    Last edited by LastRide; 07-24-2003 at 05:35 AM.

i found this sweet guide for adding all of your specific harware's drivers to the slipstream disc and having it run as an unattended install. This is for the Nforce2 with Silicon Image SATA drivers but you guys are wicked smart so supplementing your hardware for that mentioned in the guide shouldn't be much of a chore.

1) copy all the files from your XP cd to a temporary folder (let's call it C:\XPSource)

2) slipstream SP1 if you haven't already: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?...cle.cfm&id=160

3) copy your now slipstreamed cd files into a folder (say, C:\XPCD)

4) download the newest drivers for your motherboard. i've got an asus a7n8x deluxe, so i'm using the 2.16 drivers. their site doesn't seem to be responding to me at the moment, but the file was named "nf2v116_wxp.zip". also grab the 3com drivers, and whatever other drivers you might need as well (say, video card or whatever else)

5) make a directory under C:\XPCD named $OEM$

6) make a directory under that called $1

7) make yet another directory under that called Drivers. you should now have something like C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers

8) extract your drivers to subdirectories of C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers. the asus drivers all come in separate directories (XP\MemCtl, XP\Ethernet, etc). make note of the subdirectories you've created, as we'll have to provide a list of these directories to XP setup later. update: these files and folder names MUST have 8.3 compatiable names. this means that none of the files or folders can have names longer than 8 characters. it won't work if they do! (thanks lanakaian!)

9) download the newest SATA RAID drivers from SI. as of this post, you can get them here.

10) extract the "Si3112r.sys" file into the i386 folder (C:\XPCD\i386\Si3112r.sys)

11) extract the whole SATA driver archive (all the files) to a directory under Drivers, say C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\SATA.

12) find the TXTSETUP.SIF file in the i386 folder (C:\XPCD\i386\TXTSETUP.SIF) and open it in NOTEPAD.

13) add the following line under [SourceDisksFiles]
    si3112r.sys = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

14) add the following line under [HardwareIdsDatabase]
    PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_61121095 = "Si3112r"

15) add the following line under [SCSI.Load]
    si3112r = si3112r.sys,4

16) add the following line under [SCSI]
    si3112r = "Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller"

17) save your changes to TXTSETUP.SIF - we're done with this file. this file is for the text-based portion of the install (before we get XP's GUI). it keeps us from having to insert a floppy and pressing F6 during setup.

18) now we need to handle the GUI portion of the setup. create a text file under C:\XPCD\i386 called "WINNT.SIF". this is a file that XP setup will look for to automate the GUI portion of the setup. this is called an "unattended installation", and is used to answer some of the questions XP asks during the installation (and even some questions it doesn't ask). this file is called an "answer file". for more on setting up a custom unattended install, look here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=202

19) open C:\XPCD\i386\WINNT.SIF in notepad, and insert the following lines:
    [Data]
    AutoPartition=0
    MsDosInitiated="0"
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
    UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
    NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\ATI;Drivers\nForce\3Com;Drivers\nForce\AudioDrv;
    Drivers\nForce\AudioUtl;Drivers\nForce\Ethernet;Drivers\nForce\GART;
    Drivers\nForce\MemCtl;Drivers\nForce\nvIDE;Drivers\nForce\IDE;
    Drivers\SATA;Drivers\nForce\SMBus

[GuiUnattended]
    OEMSkipWelcome = 1

[UserData]
    ProductKey=12345-ABCDE-67890-FGHIK-12345
    FullName=""
    OrgName=""

20) here's the important bit: look at the OemPnPDriversPath entry.
    PUT IT ALL ON THE SAME LONG LINE!!! not on 4 lines like above - i only put it on 4 lines because the forum will then stretch the page wide enough to fit it and you'll wind up scrolling left and right for the whole damn document.
    this line will tell XP setup where to look for the .INF files for each of your devices. it will look in these paths first before checking it's own database of device drivers. the paths given are relative to the $OEM$\$1 folder you created. that is, "Drivers\ATI" tells it to look for a .INF file under C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\ATI. change this line to point to the paths for all the device drivers that you've downloaded, seperated by ";"

21) change the product key to match your key and you won't have to enter it during installation. otherwise, you can just remove that line

22) again, check out how to do a custom unattended installation from the link above if you want more settings changed - you can setup a lot of things that you normally do manually after the installation in this answer file. save the C:\XPCD\i386\WINNT.SIF answer file and close notepad.

23) burn it to a bootable CD by following the guide here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?...cle.cfm&id=160
    Last edited by DAPUNISHER; 08-08-2003 at 11:51 PM.

Just Another Member
    • Paragon's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel D875PBZ
      • CPU:
      • Intel 3.4 C
      • memory:
      • 2 GB Patriot PC 3500
      • graphics:
      • ATI X800XL
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600 watt
      • Hard drives:
      • 2-Seagate 120GB 7200.7
    Users Country Flag

There's some very good information in this thread, I'm making it sticky.

Users Country Flag

I musta done somethng wrong last night...I slipped sp1a into XP Pro and tried an install today...it asked me to insert the sp1 floppy disk into Drive A..?
    AN8-SLI, Opty148 @ 260, HTT=1040, 4x256 OCZ@520mhz, Zalman Reserator, XT800GTO

Now that I have a bootable XPcdSP1, is there a way to save all the updates and Hotfix's?

NICE...thx so much...been wanting to do this for a long time and just don't know how...kool...i can reinstall with less pain...

too slow compare to all the guys here...lol

www.redcross.org - help save someone

Administrator
    • Mikki's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Rev. 2.0 BIOS 1016
      • CPU:
      • iNTEL Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz ES @ 3.5 GHz (269x13) 1.6 V
      • memory:
      • 2 x 512 MB OCZ EL PC-3500 Dual Channel Platinum Ltd. Ed. (BH-5) @ 215 MHz 2-2-2-5 2.85 V
      • graphics:
      • Connect3D ATi All-in-Wonder X800XT @ 567/550 MHz cooled with Zalman FS-V7
      • PSU:
      • Zalman ZM400B-APS
      • Hard drives:
      • 30g POS
    Users Country Flag

Darn nice thread guys...cheers!