Thread: After sleeving power supply, PC won't start

BE Member

Unhappy After sleeving power supply, PC won't start

I finally finished ordering all my parts for my new computer and I was tired of looking at so many hanging yellow-black-black-red wires everywhere and the mess that comes with it. So I decided it would be an excellent idea to sleeve my Power Supply, so I ordered the sleeving kit, molex pin extractors (male/female), an ATX pin extractor (which by the way broke after extracting no more than 4 pins from the ATX plug), and various other nifty things to mount the cords to the side of the case to keep the "extras" out of the way.

I went to several moddin' sites, printed out all the guides I could find for cable sleeving. Even though I have successfully sleeved an older PSU I still wanted to take every precaution so I had a small chance of hurting my "baby."

I definitely took my time and had patience, labled everything accordingly and made sure I knew what went were after finishing. After around a week of work, off and on mostly at night, I finally finished and hurried over to my desk and plugged it in to make sure everything worked fine...

I flipped the switch on the back of the PSU and the green LED light came on my motherboard to indicate that there was power or whatever... Then I hit the power button on the front of the case to start it up as usual and everything came on for a half a second and then cut back off. For example, all my LED lights on the motherboard for the Abit Otes system and all the fans turned on but then it all cuts off immediately.

Since some of the motherboard came on (LEDs, fans) I suspect that the problem is not with the motherboard but with the PSU. I tried unplugging everything and verifying that I put each molex pin back in the right place. Tried again, same deal. I'm guessing that I may have shorted out the Power Supply somehow or another...

I am hoping, hoping, hoping that someone will know what is going on and will be able to help me. I am also hoping if anything is shorted, it's the PSU and not the motherboard... Considering the motherboard was about $190 and the PSU was about $90...

Anyways, thank you in advance for helping me and not to mention reading this long post of me rambling on as I bite my nails franticly...

Thanks,
    Christopher Campbell

BTW- sorry about the bad spelling... I had to use my laptop with linux on it and I have yet to install any Office programs to check my spelling.

BE Member

Well after thinking long and hard about the options I had available after trying what I could... I have come to the conclusion that I don't have enough of the right equipment to properly diagnose my problem.

I am going to take it up to a store near here called Computer Direct Outlet. They will let you bring your PC into the shop and put it up on the workbench and use there equipment. They also provide 100% free technical support to help diagnose where the problem is.

Hopefully I am making the right choice.

Just Another Member
    • Paragon's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel D875PBZ
      • CPU:
      • Intel 3.4 C
      • memory:
      • 2 GB Patriot PC 3500
      • graphics:
      • ATI X800XL
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600 watt
      • Hard drives:
      • 2-Seagate 120GB 7200.7
    Users Country Flag

You must live near Greenville, South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by akuira
    Well after thinking long and hard about the options I had available after trying what I could... I have come to the conclusion that I don't have enough of the right equipment to properly diagnose my problem.

I am going to take it up to a store near here called Computer Direct Outlet. They will let you bring your PC into the shop and put it up on the workbench and use there equipment. They also provide 100% free technical support to help diagnose where the problem is.

Hopefully I am making the right choice.

BE Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon
    You must live near Greenville, South Carolina
    Yep... Right in Greenville, although it's called Taylors here, it is still very much Greenville.

Just Another Member
    • Paragon's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel D875PBZ
      • CPU:
      • Intel 3.4 C
      • memory:
      • 2 GB Patriot PC 3500
      • graphics:
      • ATI X800XL
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600 watt
      • Hard drives:
      • 2-Seagate 120GB 7200.7
    Users Country Flag

I know Taylors very well used to live near Eastside High School until I moved to Anderson