• Hard drives:
      • OCZ SSD 64GB + Seagate 1TB
      • case:
      • HAF
      • Win7 Ultimate
    ...don't wanna know where the other 6 are
    Users Country Flag

Default Set-up for cooling ram

Finally got some pics of the set-up I made to cool the ram.
    Used 3/4" angle aluminum a dremel and some aoldering to wire the 2-50mm fans (Sunon Maglev) together. I bent the angle aluminum using a hammer and a vice. The fans are plugged into the chassis fan connection on the board. I attached the angle aluminum to the frame using velcro - it holds and allows me to move it out of the way when needed.

With the extra cooling I was able to drop the ram timings from 3-3-2-8 to 3-2-2-7 (so far).

Hope this gives you some ideas .

The first pic is the fans in it bracket. The second in the following post is the whole thing set-up in the case (mind the mess I was in the middle of something ).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Snafu
    Profile - Webpage

You can't live life without living - me

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

I am a little Sneezy
    • Snafu's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k
      • memory:
      • 8GB Crucial
      • graphics:
      • EVGA 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Hard drives:
      • case:
      • HAF
      • Win7 Ultimate
    Users Country Flag

Second pic. I only wish I had a TIG welder handy.

Snafu
    Profile - Webpage

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

Member On The Edge
    • malinois1's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge
      • CPU clock:
      • None ATM
      • memory:
      • Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
      • graphics:
      • ASUS ENGTX560Ti448DC2/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750
      • Hard drives:
      • 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
      • case:
      • Corsair Obsidian Series 550D
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
    Users Country Flag

Nice job bud It would't work in my case though Vudeo card is under memory and harddrive right to the otherside. I hot glues my thermaltake blower to the memory Can you say hairdryer? I really want that supertalent memory cooler!!!
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge/ Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 16GB DDR3 1600 / GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi)/ 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s / LG Black 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA WH12LS39 LightScribe Support / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX speakers/ Corsair Obsidian Series 550D / CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 / Dell 2408WFP / COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus/ Crucial M4 SSD" 256GB SATA III

I am a little Sneezy
    • Snafu's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k
      • memory:
      • 8GB Crucial
      • graphics:
      • EVGA 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Hard drives:
      • case:
      • HAF
      • Win7 Ultimate
    Users Country Flag

Sorry to hear that. My biggest intereference is with the SATA cables (Asus cables are not too pliable). Will have to look for some nice UV reactive cables.
    Cheers

Snafu
    Profile - Webpage

In the process of trying a few things to get my OC stable I hacked out a quick and simple memory cooler. Unfortunately it looks like the vcore is more the problem till I do the droop mod but I thought I'd toss this out here for comments / suggestions. I have real pictures at home but here is a quick b&w diagram showing what I did.

I took a piece of plexiglass and cut it oversize to hang over both sides of the sticks of memory. I thought this would be good to prevent recycling the hot air over and over. I then mounted 2 60mm 12+cfm fans. Originally I had the fans blowing down onto the memory but I have since reversed the flow and have it sucking air from the mobo and out because I thought it would be easier to get the circulation to take the hot air to the blowhole I put in (120mm)

The plate is mounted flat on top of the dimms. As you can see the center gets maximum air flow from down the channel and the outsides of the dimm not quite as much. You can see that the lip helps to keep the air from blowing out and back around again (at least I think so )

I went with the tried and true method of mounting it...a rubber band stretched from one end to the other and hooked on the dimm latches

A steady flow of warm air is blown off and away from the mobo. I'm trying to recall my measurements but I think the memory temp drops I got where in the 5 to 8 c range. I'll have to recheck that.

Scott
    EVGA 780i, Q6850 (3.0), TR Ultra Extreme 120, 8gig G.Skill, EVGA 8800GTS 512, PCP&C 750w, 1x320gig Seagate 7200.10, 2x320gig Seagate 7200.10 Raid 0

I am a little Sneezy
    • Snafu's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k
      • memory:
      • 8GB Crucial
      • graphics:
      • EVGA 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Hard drives:
      • case:
      • HAF
      • Win7 Ultimate
    Users Country Flag

Cool. How do you measure the ram temps ? The temp difference with my ram must be great cause I was able to tighten the timings and they were stable whereas before they were not.

I had another idea that I will have to piece together this fall. It will use the angle-aluminum to hold a clear plastic box over the ram and one of these fans blowing upwards (sort of a shround over the ram with air blowing up from the bottom and out the top towards the blow-hole. The plastic I am using is the container that the 12" UV light came in. It is the perfect size for the dimms (not sure if it will fit with the booster present)

Snafu
    Profile - Webpage

I have a IR temp gun and was looking at temps on outer edges where I could hit the dimm with the laser spot and thru the fan blade slots then just kind of averaging it in my head. Nothing scientific
    EVGA 780i, Q6850 (3.0), TR Ultra Extreme 120, 8gig G.Skill, EVGA 8800GTS 512, PCP&C 750w, 1x320gig Seagate 7200.10, 2x320gig Seagate 7200.10 Raid 0

Snafu,

I was also thinking about what you are talking about, but I was thinking that I wanted the best of both worlds, blowing and sucking , I was thinking of placing a fan on both ends of a box that covers the dimms like you talked about with one blowing thru the box, and the other assisting, but sucking out the other side, all toward the blowhole of course. Problem is that the graphics card is really to close to get the fan on that side for a straight shot. The other issue is that one end with be consistantly hotter as the air is heated passing by the earlier chips.

Anyone find a nice non-conductive malletable rigid material that you can make ducting with?

I am a little Sneezy
    • Snafu's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k
      • memory:
      • 8GB Crucial
      • graphics:
      • EVGA 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Hard drives:
      • case:
      • HAF
      • Win7 Ultimate
    Users Country Flag

The video card is awfully close but I think I have just enough room to squeeze one in there.

I think some crafts stores especially those that cater to the modelling world (not the Heide Klume variety : ) woudl have plastic sheets you could use. One alternative I have found that are maleable with heat and you can solidly glue with modelling glue are the dividers in an old 5.25" case and the plastic page protectors in some binders. I have been able to bend the sheets in a vice using a small propane torch for heat.

PS - an IR gun must be a nice toy to have around .

Snafu
    Profile - Webpage

Member On The Edge

Rumour, has it that the next product that OCZ is coming out with, is a memory cooler or was that a memory froster? SteveOCZ knows all about it but won't say nada for fear of having the OCZ hit squad take aim at him. (wink ..wink ! )

I am a little Sneezy
    • Snafu's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k
      • memory:
      • 8GB Crucial
      • graphics:
      • EVGA 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Hard drives:
      • case:
      • HAF
      • Win7 Ultimate
    Users Country Flag

I thought it was a AMD based board
    A nice easy add-on that works would be great but it is always fun trying to make something out of bits and pieces kicking around .
    PS do they have hit squads in Estonia?

Snafu
    Profile - Webpage

Member On The Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Shayd
    Snafu,
    Anyone find a nice non-conductive malletable rigid material that you can make ducting with?

Well this goes way beyond the question asked here. And honestly does provide a fresh approach at cooling a case....however the material used might be what u are looking for Snafu ( and I just might also for this approach seems to me like a logical winner frankly..makes senses and no major hard work to boot.)

Cheap As Free Air Cooling Mod
    BB_One.... Out !
    OCZ EL Platinum 4800 Elite Edition
    Sapphire Radeon X850XT PE ~ 585/630
    OCZ PowerStream 520W

---------------------------------------

Nice find BB_one. Same thing I was thinking about in a fashion.

King of Dumb Ideas
    • Killer Munkey's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Nforce 4 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 146
      • CPU clock:
      • 2.6ghz
      • memory:
      • 4x512 pc3200 BH-5 @3.1V
      • graphics:
      • X1900 CF card
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Powerstream 520w
      • Hard drives:
      • 80gig maxtor SATA, 100gig WD PATA
    Users Country Flag

the only non conductive ducting i can think of is plexiglass.

you guys have come up with far more good looking ideas and designs that i have so far. all i can think of atm is using string to hang a 120mm fan over the DIMM area on the board. the only challenge i have it to make it have it not blow itself around and to get a board and ram that can actually be pushed to a point where temps matter

I am a little Sneezy
    • Snafu's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k
      • memory:
      • 8GB Crucial
      • graphics:
      • EVGA 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Hard drives:
      • case:
      • HAF
      • Win7 Ultimate
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BB_One
    Well this goes way beyond the question asked here. And honestly does provide a fresh approach at cooling a case....however the material used might be what u are looking for Snafu ( and I just might also for this approach seems to me like a logical winner frankly..makes senses and no major hard work to boot.)
    I like this guys thinking. Different. For materials and for design. Good idea for material. Cheap, easy to work with.

One thing I think I would worry about is the fit. If it is too close to the board then there might be too much restriction and too much drag on the fan. Too loose and not enough air gets close enough to the board for max effect. Finding the right balance would be tough.

This build also has a link to a nice build using plexiglass around the CPU and GPU heat sinks. I picked up some plexiglass to see if I can come up with something just a clean. Thinking about ducting one side fan right to the CPU heat sink and the other to the GPU heat sink.

Looks like I have some more playing around to do .

Thanks for the link

Snafu
    Profile - Webpage