Thread: ATX mobo's flex near processor socket?

BE Member
    • venger's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D EVO
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 860
      • CPU clock:
      • stock
      • memory:
      • Gskill RipJaws
      • graphics:
      • Nvidia 8800GTS 512
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620
      • Hard drives:
      • 2 500gb, 1 250gb - Seagates
      • Windows 7

Default ATX mobo's flex near processor socket?

I'm wondering if any of you have noticed that the motherboards seem to flex (concave) at the top edge of the motherboard (near the processor). I just upgraded a IC7-MAX3 and when I pulled that mobo I noticed about 1/8" in dip along the length of the top of the motherboard, mostly around the area in line with the processor.

I took note of my new P5B Deluxe board and there was a slight dip in it already before I installed it. Is this something common that I just haven't taken notice of? Is it perhaps that the size of todays sockets, generated heat and size of the heat sinks are contributing to this?

I pulled my mobo stand offs and made sure they were all the same height and they were. I have 5 fans in my case so I think things should be cooler than average. It made me feel like this is something that occurs by design and that ATX style boards could have benefited better if the middle screws were lined up at the half way point in the board...
    Last edited by venger; 10-01-2006 at 05:01 PM.

BE Member
    • Oregonian's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte 965P-DQ6
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600
      • memory:
      • Corsair (2X) CM2X1024-6400C4
      • graphics:
      • Gigabyte fanless 7600GT
      • PSU:
      • Antec Trueblue 2.0 480W
      • Hard drives:
      • (4) 320GB (1) 400Gb
    Users Country Flag

My new Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 motherboard has a metal plate on the backside of the processor socket. It's obstensibly for cooling (called "crazy cool" or some such), and probably does act as a heat spreader and heat sink of sorts, but I wonder if it also isn't a board support/straightener device as well (esp with the bowing stress the 775 heat-sink attachment puts on the board simultaneously).

Mike

BE Member
    • venger's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D EVO
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 860
      • CPU clock:
      • stock
      • memory:
      • Gskill RipJaws
      • graphics:
      • Nvidia 8800GTS 512
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620
      • Hard drives:
      • Windows 7

That is interesting. Do you know if it actually makes contact with the case?

I have been thinking about placing something nonconductive at the top edge just to help maintain level height. Something like a reshaped plastic stand off or simlar. This is more of a long term precautionary step. I'm not sure if the P5B is going to do the same thing that my IC7-MAX 3 did. I also had a water block on the IC7-MAX3 which could leave things hotter in that area, although I do have 2 side fans...

BE Member
    • Oregonian's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte 965P-DQ6
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600
      • memory:
      • graphics:
      • PSU:
      • Hard drives:
      • (4) 320GB (1) 400Gb
    Users Country Flag

No it doesn't touch the case. Too thin. It's a gold-look annodized aluminum plate with ribs that's screwed to the motherboard in a number of places, and it's located directly under the processor and surrounding area. Some complain about it because it interferes with third party cpu fans that are too heavy and need a support thing on the back. Nevertheless it does seem to make board material in the heated area around the socket stiffer -- as well as distributing heat around any hot-spot. Not that likely gets too hot, the CPU temp idles around 30C and with both cores running 100% (E6600) goes up to maybe 42C, and this is with the stock Intel provided cooler (which actually looks a LOT nicer than anything I've ever gotten from AMD whose camp I just left :-). And the fan slows with CPU temp, so this isn't even with it running full blast.

Mike

BE Member
    • venger's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D EVO
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 860
      • CPU clock:
      • stock
      • memory:
      • Gskill RipJaws
      • graphics:
      • Nvidia 8800GTS 512
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620
      • Hard drives:
      • Windows 7

I've actually got a thread in the intel cpu section about the E6600. I started out around 49c idle and since having recleaned and reapplied artic silver 5 I'm down to 41c idle. That is still a long way from 30c. I'm not sure what the deal is.

BE Member
    • Oregonian's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte 965P-DQ6
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600
      • memory:
      • graphics:
      • PSU:
      • Hard drives:
      • (4) 320GB (1) 400Gb
    Users Country Flag

I'm not sure either, but it could just be that my part runs cooler. There's variances between parts. I don't think temps on my part are unusual in my readings of what folks have seen. Will say ahead of time that I've got it running "plain" (2.4GHz), not overclocked or overvoltaged at all (other than Corsair DDR2' running at their 2.1V spec), I may play with that when I'm "done" (still fussing with setting up of ZoneAlarm Suite that I'm replacing Norton software with -- after many many years I've finally booted Norton out after threatening to do so a number of times). Also have some hopefully quieter case fans coming in today from Newegg so the full-speed fan that blows on my five drives will tone down a bit. The low CPU temps are good so that the fan runs slow (been trying to dull my machine's former roar w/fanless and slower-fan replacements) but also suggests that I may have a lot room for overclocking, even with the stock fan (which as I've mentioned elsewhere looks a lot nicer than any fan I got from AMD previously where I'd usually replace it w/3rd party fan).

I've got the Intel heat sink mounted using the stuff that came on the heat sink. I've some Artic goop that I've used on my last couple processor "builds" but won't be using it unless I need to take the heatsink off for some reason.

Mike