Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated 11/15/06 **Modding services**

FS/FT Mod(ding Junkie) shimmishim's Avatar
    Users Country Flag

then send it off my way!

i'll do it for ya for a very minimal cost!

Well, I experimented it almost the whole night last night. I tried resistance of 50K all the way to 10K. The best resistors with the least fluctuation is the 12K and 18K. When using the 12K, it fluctuates between 1.68 and 1.63. When using the 18K, it fluctuates between 1.66 and 1.70. The funny thing is after I decided to go with the 18K, after soldered it securely to the wire and put the mobo back in the case, guess what? There again, it went back to 1.57 - 1.68!!!!

It seem like the mod isn't working. Its fluctuation seems to be more severe when first start the computer. If I let it run for awhile, it stabilized itself within the acceptable zone. Still not sure if it works properly. It's driving me nuts now. I think I'm giving up on it.

One more misfortune. I did all my PSU mod today and managed to kill my WD0100JB 100GB hard drive. I was adjusting the vr pot and I guess I gave it too much juice and my system shut itself off. When I turned it back on, one of the two HDs is didn't not turn on at all. No power to it at all.

Good thing it's still under warranty, so I'm RMAing it.

Users Country Flag

uhh...

why do you have your hard drives plugged in while adjusting the pots?

i unplug everything before i tweak my pots...

oh well... i'd eat that one up (the dead hard drive) but to each his own...

That's the thing I have to swallow. I treaked it while in Windows, using MBM5. I guess I should've done it in the BIOS with nothing attached. What did you set you pot to before turning on the PC? Now, to raise the voltage, do I lower or raise the pots?

Here's the components I used:

3.3V - 10 ohm fixed resistor with 1K vr
    5.0V - 33 ohm fixed resistor with 10K vr
    12V - 68 ohm fixed resistor with 10K vr

I set them all the way to max before turn on the PC. I checked in MBM5 and the voltage was still low for the 5 and 12 line. That's why I treaked it then suddenly my PC shut down and thus how the dead drive came to rest.

I was afraid I did something horribly wrong, so I took out everything I modded and just reconnect all the wires I cutted. I'm afraid to do it again thinking of the worst thing.

Users Country Flag

i use a voltmeter.

don't use bios don't use mbm5...

use any of the black slots on the atx plug as a ground ...

and then measure the orange wire (3.3)

measure the red wire (5)
    measure the yellow wire (12)

or the 5 and 12 may be reversed.

yeah... that's the proper way to do it.

so far... i haven't killed hardware due to the tweaking my power supply.

Thank goodness, I was able to do the mod this time without plugging in any device and measuring the lines before plugging the rails. It's funny, though. On the 12V line, I get 12+ reading on my voltmeter, but in the MBM5, I get like -.60 to -.80 less than what I get with the voltmeter. I get 12.35 with the voltmeter and I get 11.67 in MBM5. Which reading is correct? I'm confused!!!!!

oh, sad to hear you broke your HD....but it's nice to see you're trying to learn...like shim said, if you've got too much prob, shim can do it for you...

You have a PM, shimmishim!

Member On The Edge
    • flexkill's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5W DH Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6700
      • CPU clock:
      • 360x10(3.6Ghz)
      • memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix PC 8000 2x1GB
      • graphics:
      • eVGA 8800 GTX
      • PSU:
      • OCZ GXS 750
      • Hard drives:
      • Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (x2RAID 0)
    Users Country Flag

shim it's me, sorry i didn't respond sooner but i decided to do the mod myself. i have to learn how, and this is the only way. i really am grateful of yur time and effort. i think yur work is great and can only hope mine comes out half as good as yur's. what you do, and what you do it for.....if you ask me best deal in the world. you need to charge just a little man, you need something for yur time and skill's. anyway thanx.

My Heatware

R.I.P RotorHead...You will be missed, but never forgotten!

Users Country Flag

glad to hear you did it yourself. i figure if i can get established enough then maybe i could charge but since BE isn't that HUGE like anandtech or xtremesystems or pcperspective... i should try to get my name out first!

anyway, if you need any trouble shootin', let me know...

i don't mind answering questions...

Hey Shim, are you then the webmaster of BE? I would also assume that you are also the owner? That's cool if you are. Anyway, my mod finally works as expected. The fluctuation is now between 1.65 - 1.70. Everyone once awhile, it goes down to 1.63, but it then quickly goes back to 1.66 and stays there about 99% (if not 99.999%) of the time. Thanks to you, I was also able to mod successfully my Antec True550. I'm now above the spec of all the (really low) voltage I mentioned earlier (not sure if it was this thread or another one.)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcniest5
    Hey Shim, are you then the webmaster of BE? I would also assume that you are also the owner? That's cool if you are. Anyway, my mod finally works as expected. The fluctuation is now between 1.65 - 1.70. Everyone once awhile, it goes down to 1.63, but it then quickly goes back to 1.66 and stays there about 99% (if not 99.999%) of the time. Thanks to you, I was also able to mod successfully my Antec True550. I'm now above the spec of all the (really low) voltage I mentioned earlier (not sure if it was this thread or another one.)
    good to hear!

the antec mod was probably in a nother thread.. i learned how to do mine over at xtreme...

btw, i'm not the webmaster nor do i know who is

but i wouldn't mind being moderator for this thread

how about making my post a sticky

hahaha...

Crunchy Cheetos
    • RotorHead's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • IWill DN800-SLI
      • CPU:
      • 2x 3.2Ghz Xeon
      • CPU clock:
      • 3.78Ghz
      • memory:
      • Crucial 2GB DDR2 3200 ECC
      • graphics:
      • Two XFX 7800GTX in SLI
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Powerstream 600 SLI
      • Hard drives:
      • WD 73GB Rapters RAID 0
    Users Country Flag

jcniest5,

You can find out who does what here at BE from this Linky

shimmishim,

Jim and I actually moderate this particular forum. If there is anything you wish to do with this thread, feel free to PM either of us and we will try to accommodate your needs.

As Mikki has said on several occasions, the BleedinEdge is all about you guys, and we are happy to help in any way we can.

PS….You’ve been Sticky’d

Little black helicopters? If you only knew, HAHAHA!

DN800-SLI | Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz@ 3.86/240FSB | Dual XFX 7800gtx | 2Gig ECC DDR2 | 2 Rapters RAID 0 | 1 WD 300 Gig | Plextor PX 716SA

Hey...Don't touch that Squirrels nuts! It'll make him crazy!!

Alright, now I know who you guys are, I'm coming ta get ya!!! Nah, just kidding. Don't take seriously. Anyway, I hope more people will see this site and come to use it just as I did. I don't remember how I stumbled to this site. But it's all good because it really helps me. Of course, I did kill something, but also managed to learn something in doing so. That's all for the good! LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by jcniest5
    Alright, now I know who you guys are, I'm coming ta get ya!!! Nah, just kidding. Don't take seriously. Anyway, I hope more people will see this site and come to use it just as I did. I don't remember how I stumbled to this site. But it's all good because it really helps me. Of course, I did kill something, but also managed to learn something in doing so. That's all for the good! LOL...

Were glad to have you hear and very happy that you stumbled here.

Processor
    (NW)P4 3.4C | SL793 | Malay | Batch: L342B422 | Pack date: 1/10/04

Motherboard
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe 1016 Bios

Memory
    2 * 512MB OCZ 3700 EB's DDR's

BFG 6800 Ultra OC | 2 * WD Raptors - RAID 0 on ICH5-R | Viewsonic VX2000 20" LCD