Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated 11/15/06 **Modding services**

FS/FT Mod(ding Junkie) shimmishim's Avatar
    Users Country Flag

coo coo

i might have to try one of those babies out!

I went to two Radio Schack stores and they don't have the VR nor the pots. They have those radio type pot/Volume Control that is so big I didn't buy anything.

Shim, how many have you done so far (excluding your own)? The tip of the iron seems too big to solder those small/tiny contacts. I'm afraid I might spread it and kill my board.

Is it really that hard? Or is it just me thinking it the hard way?

Users Country Flag

yeah i ordered my 50k VR's from an online vendor.

I've only done 1 other besides mine and that went fine.

What iron are you trying to use?

Honestly, it's not THAT hard. It just takes patience and a steady hand.

Yeah, I tried it on a fan and I messed it up. Probably my iron's tip is too big, so when the melting begins, it's too big/wide, so it spreaded to other close by components. Then from looking at the connect pad on the mobo, it's so small (in fact it's really tiny) so that really discourages me! What I did on the fan was much bigger and yet I messed it up, so with this so tiny thing, I'm really scared.

First, try to file down the tip of your iron, make it nice and sharp. Then all I can suggest is try to tin the wire and the iron. That way you can just hold the wire in place and touch it with the iron and its done nice and clean. Also, what type of wire are you trying to use?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoShowtime
    what type of wire are you trying to use?

I hope it's not 14Gague Romex. . .

Processor
    (NW)P4 3.4C | SL793 | Malay | Batch: L342B422 | Pack date: 1/10/04

Motherboard
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe 1016 Bios

Memory
    2 * 512MB OCZ 3700 EB's DDR's

BFG 6800 Ultra OC | 2 * WD Raptors - RAID 0 on ICH5-R | Viewsonic VX2000 20" LCD

I'm going to use the IDE stripped wire for this mod. I haven't gotten the proper VRs or FRs yet, though.

Users Country Flag

good wire ... that's what i use too

if you need VR's let me know... i just ordered $15 bucks worth from a vendor (that's the minimum order).

I can sell you some individually if you need them.

i have a supply of

Default Finally!

Well, I finally had the guts to do the vcore droop on my P4C800-E Deluxe tonight. I tried alot of tests on something else before I finally had the guts to put the wire on the two metal pads and then one by one, managed to put the hot iron to do it. It's working fine now, though I'm not sure how effective the job is. I'm doing Prime95 on my machine. One thing, though, as soon as I run Prime95, my vcore drops from 1.68 to 1.57 and fluctuating back and forth between those two numbers. Before I did the mod, even without running any stress program, my vcore would jumped back and forth between 1.54 and 1.68. By the way, I have a Celeron 2.4Ghz OCed to 3.13Ghz using basic SPD setting in the BIOS. No voltage change of any kind. Everything is at default using 30% OCing and Turbo setting. I'm gonna try to set a certain voltage for the vcore and see if it still fluctuates.

Thanks, guys! Aren't you proud of me? Hehehhehe...LOL

Users Country Flag

your vcore is fluctuating too much still.

when i did the mod mine was like....

bios 1.65
    range 1.75 to 1.58

after the mod:
    1.68 to 1.63

your range is still too large

what resistance isyour pot set to.... 27k? 28k?

Well, when I was at Radio Schack, they didn't have any small pack of resistors of 27K (so I can connect one 27K in series with one 1K) or the 50K pot, so I bought a 5-pack of 22K resistors and one 10K vr. After connecting one 22K resitor in series to the 10K vr, I adjusted the pot so the reading was at 28K and then soldered or modded my mobo using that setting. Was there something different I could have done to make my mobo work better? Also, does it matter which pin we use? I used the the middle and the bottom pin(fartest from the adjustable screw or pin 1 and 2). Pin 3 is unused.

After the mod was already done, I measured the reading again and it was at 20K, because now I wasn't measuring only the two resistors, but the whole thing, which also involved the resistors on the mobo. Have you tried measuring your work after everything was connected and see what the reading was? Can you try that and let me know what kind of combined reading you get?
    Last edited by jcniest5; 05-22-2004 at 06:53 PM.

Further into my mod project and discovery: The mod isn't working. Perhaps I don't have the proper resistors. I tested the mobo more thoroughly and found that the fluctuation is exactly the same way (as before) without the mod. First, I doubted my mod is any good. I traced all the wire I soldered and found that all were connected properly with no broken link. But no matter what I do, the fluctuation is still the same.

I set the voltage in BIOS to 1.60. Fluctuation in MBM is between 1.57 and 1.68. With or without the mod, fluctuation is exactly the same.

Is connecting the two resistors in series (one fixed 22K and one vr 10K) a wrong way of doing it?

What am I doing wrong?

Users Country Flag

doing it in series like that is fine...

it's a combined 32k.

hmm...

Users Country Flag

once it's connected to the points, it shouldn't be reading 27k.

it should read close to zero if i remmeber...

It's terrible! It just doesn't work. I tested to make sure there is continuity through the soldered tip to other series connection surround it and it good. It still fluctuates too much. I set 1.70 in BIOS just to test it. And guess what? It fluctuates all the way down from 1.74 to 1.55. It's not use. I'm going to try the resistor close to the IC and see if that makes any difference. Otherwise, I'm through with this mod thing.