• 4x512 pc3200 BH-5 @3.1V
      • graphics:
      • X1900 CF card
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Powerstream 520w
      • Hard drives:
      • 80gig maxtor SATA, 100gig WD PATA
    Users Country Flag

Finished. Thats the only page on DX 10 in Vista so its a quick read.

So basically DX 10 is ment to make gpus' more flexable and powerful and reduce the cpu load in most cases. And also DX9 drivers optimized for Vista will run faster according to
    extremetech.

Nothing to really worry, Vista isn't gonna be out for a while longer and having a DX9 card isn't gonna cripple anybody either. The only big push for DX10 would be when games that are DX10 only come out, i.e. Halo2 on the PC. I can't see a whole lot of developers making a DX10 ony game because you'd have a small audience that can buy your game and that doesn't make profits.

Users Country Flag

When you say Halo 2 is for DX10, well does that mean that my card will not play it at all?

Mmm, dancing Boobys!
    • Just Learnin''s Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA Classified (760)
      • CPU:
      • i7 920
      • CPU clock:
      • 4GHz
      • memory:
      • 6GB G.SKILL F3-12800CL8-2GBHK
      • graphics:
      • 2x EVGA GTX 580 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 1000
      • Hard drives:
      • Intel 160GB 320 series SSD, 300GB WD Raptor, 2X Seagate 7200.11
      • case:
      • Custom aluminum checkerplate, http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php/33698-Case-dimensions
      • Win 7 64 bit
    Users Country Flag

This is one I would DEFINITELY want a DX10 card for if/when it comes out!! Far Cry follow up game Crysis I loved Far Cry so.........

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Just Learnin'
    This is one I would DEFINITELY want a DX10 card for if/when it comes out!! Far Cry follow up game Crysis I loved Far Cry so.........
    The new farcry is going to need DX10? I am sure the DX9 cards will be able to run it too. The X1900 series has real exellent features, yes I know DX10 is much better, but I suppose that the X1900 series will run the game good too with all the nice effects and detail?

King of Dumb Ideas
    • Killer Munkey's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Nforce 4 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 146
      • CPU clock:
      • 2.6ghz
      • memory:
      • graphics:
      • X1900 CF card
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Powerstream 520w
      • Hard drives:
    Users Country Flag

From what i've read Kev, Bill Gates is making Halo 2 on the PC a DX 10 game only, to bait people into switching quicker than they otherwise would.

As for that new Far Cry game:
    The game is named Crysis and will be shipping, as the first DX10 enabled game, in Q4 2006. We have the first screenshots from the game, screenshots that were exclusive to the latest Gamestar magazine issue released today.
    First DX10 enabled game, kinda hints that it will have some DX 10 features if DX10 is avaible.

Users Country Flag

But the question is, will the X1900 series and the Geforce 7900 series be able to play these games still? Why before the game industries said you HAD TO buy a new video card which is DX9 to play the new DX9 games, but there was DX8 still able to play the DX9, how come we can not do that now?

Mmm, dancing Boobys!
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA Classified (760)
      • CPU:
      • i7 920
      • CPU clock:
      • 4GHz
      • memory:
      • graphics:
      • 2x EVGA GTX 580 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 1000
      • Hard drives:
      • case:
      • Custom aluminum checkerplate, http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php/33698-Case-dimensions
      • Win 7 64 bit
    Users Country Flag

I also think that due to Microsoft owning Bungie and possibly having vested interests in other game companies that the onset of DX10 only games may be inevitable. Microsoft sells both the game and the OS to run it on.....=$$$

One reason being the DRM (copyright protection) offered by the Vista platform. Game developers would be afforded further protection from pirating of their games....=$$$

I agree that it will take time, how much?? Anybody's guess really. Be aware though that Vista will only allow drivers etc. digitally signed by Microsoft to run on Vista, I am not sure what all will fall by the wayside but I am guessing the modded drivers I am using to make my soundcard run/sound better than Creative's will be no more. As well as the Omega drivers I have enjoyed for my video card....gone. Microsoft will make even more money by having companies which want to sell hardware to run on Vista pay for that right....

King of Dumb Ideas
    • Killer Munkey's Rig Specs
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Nforce 4 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 146
      • CPU clock:
      • 2.6ghz
      • memory:
      • graphics:
      • X1900 CF card
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Powerstream 520w
      • Hard drives:
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_Dawg
    But the question is, will the X1900 series and the Geforce 7900 series be able to play these games still? Why before the game industries said you HAD TO buy a new video card which is DX9 to play the new DX9 games, but there was DX8 still able to play the DX9, how come we can not do that now?
    Thats because Microsoft said DX10 won't be backwards compatiable with the older DX versions, mostly because there are to many big changes to make it backwards compatible. Their stepping on a lot of people with this change, but they think its worth it.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Munkey
    Thats because Microsoft said DX10 won't be backwards compatiable with the older DX versions, mostly because there are to many big changes to make it backwards compatible. Their stepping on a lot of people with this change, but they think its worth it.
    Well Microsoft wont make that much because I am sure not alot of people want to upgrade the video card to be able to use Vista, some do not want to do that and stick with Win XP. DX10 games are not even going to be seen untill the next year or so, the only 2 games that we know use DX10 is halo and farcry as you know. I read somewhere just now that the X1900 XTX card which is mine will be able to run the DX10 games, but not have those features that DX10 has to offer. My card for what I hear is fast enough to play the DX10 games, but of course not have all the features.

Mmm, dancing Boobys!
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA Classified (760)
      • CPU:
      • i7 920
      • CPU clock:
      • 4GHz
      • memory:
      • graphics:
      • 2x EVGA GTX 580 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 1000
      • Hard drives:
      • case:
      • Win 7 64 bit
    Users Country Flag

Some of the features related to the Crytek 2 engine the new Crysis will be based on,

Excerpt:

CryTek, developers of Far Cry, released a movie that showcased some of the capabilities of the Cry Engine 2 under DirectX 10 API: dynamic day/night cycle, fully interactive enviroments, sunrays and diffuse transmission, real time soft shadows, soft particles, interactive/destructrible enviroments, volumetric clouds, and advanced shader technology. Courtesy of DocSEAL, we have the official version of the movie (hi-res version), along with a German video interview with Cevat Yerli, CEO of Crytek, Sten Hübler, Lead Level Designer, and Bernd Diemer, Game Designer. The game is named Crysis and will be shipping, as the first DX10 enabled game, in Q4 2006.

Link

The videos were removed for download from that site. Really sparse info out here eh?

Users Country Flag

I get what your saying, but they can not just abondon the people that just bought the X1900 XTX, there is going to be a lot of angry users I can tell you that much. If what I heard is true about my card running on DX10 games, then I am in luck.

Member On The Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Just Learnin'
    Some of the features related to the Crytek 2 engine the new Crysis will be based on,

Excerpt:

CryTek, developers of Far Cry, released a movie that showcased some of the capabilities of the Cry Engine 2 under DirectX 10 API: dynamic day/night cycle, fully interactive enviroments, sunrays and diffuse transmission, real time soft shadows, soft particles, interactive/destructrible enviroments, volumetric clouds, and advanced shader technology. Courtesy of DocSEAL, we have the official version of the movie (hi-res version), along with a German video interview with Cevat Yerli, CEO of Crytek, Sten Hübler, Lead Level Designer, and Bernd Diemer, Game Designer. The game is named Crysis and will be shipping, as the first DX10 enabled game, in Q4 2006.

Link

The videos were removed for download from that site. Really sparse info out here eh?
    Not the specific movie per say - but here is what the engine can do - certainly something to look forward to

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...24280667034762
    BB_One.... Out !
    OCZ EL Platinum 4800 Elite Edition
    Sapphire Radeon X850XT PE ~ 585/630
    OCZ PowerStream 520W

---------------------------------------

Mmm, dancing Boobys!
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA Classified (760)
      • CPU:
      • i7 920
      • CPU clock:
      • 4GHz
      • memory:
      • graphics:
      • 2x EVGA GTX 580 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 1000
      • Hard drives:
      • case:
      • Win 7 64 bit
    Users Country Flag

Thanks BB_One! Found it here in Macromedia as well: Link

Man the sunlight, clouds and shadows are spectacular!!