Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been a while. Again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Been a while. Again.

    Im back again

    Updated my new computer specs, just built it over christmas. My own christmas present after making tons of money during peak season. Figured I needed and deserved it after being stuck with my P4 S478 and 6800 for the past few years. It was getting impossible to deal with the slowness even just for web browsing.

    Cant believe Iv been a member since 2005. Its weird cuz Iv been banned by pretty much every other computer forum years ago many times. But never this one. I wonder why. Always seems like such a nicer place here, although alot less active still I see. But at least its still around. Always a good refuge.

  • #2
    Welcome back. What are you going to do with your machine? Any plans to OC it?

    You are probably the last with an s478...I gave mine up just last summer for a core 2 then now with a quad...I took the lazy approach and instead of troubleshooting I bought new hardware (both are sitting patiently waiting for me to get to them).

    Love me machine. Only trouble so far has been the OCZ SSD drive that will fix itself after I update the firmware (scary since it is the OS drive).

    Now about that banning thing, we can always fix that




    Snafu
    Profile - Webpage

    You can't live life without living - me

    Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Snafu View Post
      Welcome back. What are you going to do with your machine? Any plans to OC it?

      You are probably the last with an s478...I gave mine up just last summer for a core 2 then now with a quad...I took the lazy approach and instead of troubleshooting I bought new hardware (both are sitting patiently waiting for me to get to them).

      Love me machine. Only trouble so far has been the OCZ SSD drive that will fix itself after I update the firmware (scary since it is the OS drive).

      Now about that banning thing, we can always fix that
      Oh no no no no. No overclocking on this unit!

      Even with my massive Hyper 612 II cooler, this processor gets up to 78c under full load at 3.34GHz. I would not want to see it passing 80c.

      And anyway, its plenty fast enough. I dont think I ever use more than 10% of its power at most with gaming. GTA4 uses 18% at max settings, but I cant actually play the game max due to only having 320MB VRAM.

      Iv mostly just been playing EVE Online with it and Skyrim now. Can play EVE maxxed no problem, lots of fun and looks great in the station. Skyrim looks great as well, though its only using DX9 in both games. Not sure why it wont run them in DX10 Im sure they are both DX10 games.

      Im starting a little collection, I have about 4 Pentium 4 setups and 3 AMD setups. 2 of them Socket 939 and the one that still works a Socket AM2+. All they need is power supplies and HDDs and they are good to go.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think you have to change your sig now

        I am getting rid of some old hardware kicking around. A local kids collects the stuff and is able to get some money from salvage.


        I have not checked to see how hot my i5 gets. I hope it is not near that temp




        Snafu
        Profile - Webpage

        You can't live life without living - me

        Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Snafu View Post
          I think you have to change your sig now

          I am getting rid of some old hardware kicking around. A local kids collects the stuff and is able to get some money from salvage.


          I have not checked to see how hot my i5 gets. I hope it is not near that temp
          Actually, I did change my sig

          I changed to the specs of my first build. As much of it as I can remember anyway, it was back in 2001. Was a solid gaming machine back then

          Your i5 probably wont get as hot, I have 6 cores and a 130W TDP. Hardware monitor says its using 144W though, but thats at the 3.34GHz stock turbo speed. So the 130W is probably rated at the 3.2GHz speed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Welcome back, LSK
            Call me Ken I joined in mid to late 2009 Lakside told me about this site and invited me to join. I've been here ever since. I am still using the PC I built right after I joined with a Phenom IIx2be 3100mhz processor. I have been eying the ne 6 cores and now the newer 8 core processors. I want to build a new machine, but right now I am in the middle of gathering the pieces to build a windmill generator. So for now the new PC is on hold.
            Anyway, Welcome back!
            Ken

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RacingKen View Post
              Welcome back, LSK
              Call me Ken I joined in mid to late 2009 Lakside told me about this site and invited me to join. I've been here ever since. I am still using the PC I built right after I joined with a Phenom IIx2be 3100mhz processor. I have been eying the ne 6 cores and now the newer 8 core processors. I want to build a new machine, but right now I am in the middle of gathering the pieces to build a windmill generator. So for now the new PC is on hold.
              Anyway, Welcome back!
              Ken
              Thanks. And I may have to invite some more people here myself, as the site seems rather slow still.

              We should work on making this a bigger forum.

              Comment


              • #8
                Been awhile for me too..joined in 2003 when it started.You can see from my sig it's been awhile. Now running a 2500k @ 4500

                Comment


                • #9
                  welcome Back!

                  we don't normally ban people here. Now if you Spam my Forums, I would Ban you in a Minute!

                  I joined here in 2004, and Now I own and Operate the Site and Don't worry, The place is safe for at least 2 more years ( i just payed the bills)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Whachoo talkin bout nutty?
                    He didnt say anything about spam?
                    You on a spam kick?
                    Hehe
                    jk

                    Welcome back Ardy
                    ____________________________________________________________

                    Every day I try to follow Gods will. Every day, I struggle immensely with my human nature.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dave3d View Post
                      Whachoo talkin bout nutty?
                      He didnt say anything about spam?
                      You on a spam kick?
                      Hehe
                      jk

                      Welcome back Ardy
                      Nope!

                      the saying here is "if you don't spam, you won't get banned" is almost true

                      last guy that got banned for non-spam offenses was almost 5 years ago

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X