Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asking for input!

I am asking for everybody's input for the following reason:

The site has stagnated and not expanding. we as the small group we are cannot compete with the large overclocking websites.

I am asking for help in determining a way to grow the website. Basically, what do you guys want to see from BE?

any suggestions will be considered!

It's too bad the site has slowed down as much as it has. Got a great group of people here!

One of the things that the larger OC sites have is a front page with current articles, a lot of flash and scripting to make it flashy, and most importantly current hardware reviews.

I personally believe PC gaming is on the rise again, especially with Battlefield 3. Why? Well, the most credible point of note is that the long (and insanely gorgeous) demo footage was demoed on a PC, instead of a craptastic console. A lot of people are waiting for Ivy to upgrade, but I took the plunge into Sandy and absolutely love my 2600k!

I think if the site tailored more toward gaming and hardware specifically, it may attract more users, maybe even younger crowds that are itching to switch from consoles to pcs.

Another thing most sites have are actual vendor reps that comment and post on their forums. AFAIK we used to have OCZ reps here... StyderOCZ I believe his name was? They're usually a huge help to boosting visitor numbers and user accounts.

Lastly, user guides and OS tweaks/mods also seem to be a big attention grabber because a lot of people aren't aware of what their new shiny OS is capable of or the hidden gems underneath the glossy coat of "user friendly" garb.

I'd love to see the site grow again, I hope some of this will kick start the creative spark this site's users have shown before.

Comment

Originally posted by RoachBurn
      One of the things that the larger OC sites have is a front page with current articles, a lot of flash and scripting to make it flashy, and most importantly current hardware reviews.
      one of the reasons i prefer this place is it doesn't have the flashy front page. but then i'm a freak so don't count me in the majority on that point.

on the other hand i agree with most of the rest of your post. iirc, it was though ocz that i found this place to begin with, so getting a "rep" back again should go a long way.

imho, the single biggest thing to draw new traffic here(aside from the spammers) would be to hook up with some of the manufactures and get in the review game. i have no idea what's involved in that and it would probly require the part i don't like, but if it works....

Comment

FP is crucial. Not sure about splashy but definitely news, reviews, articles that are OC and/or computer related.

Snafu
        Profile - Webpage

You can't live life without living - me

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

Comment

I agree with everything except the flash animations.

Every day I try to follow Gods will. Every day, I struggle immensely with my human nature.

Comment

ok guys.

you guys hit right on my dilemna:

Because of the lack of traffic and the Economy, I cannot get any equipment for reviews. the only way I can get equipment right now is if I buy it out of my own pocket, and I cannot afford that.

second thing is who around here to write and edit the reviews? I certainly do not have time to do it Most of my time is spent trying to run off spammers and fixing the site

Mfr reps are the same problem, Lack of traffic to even be considered. and you were thinking of RyderOCZ

News I am working on but hit a snag (bug) in the program. That I have been complaining to Vbulletin about but they still have not fixed it

The Gaming aspect is definately to be considered, BUT I am not a gamer, so need your guys help. do we cover The hardware or the software?

and lastly, who around here is going to write and edit the help guides?

and that is another dilemna, Sites like Xtremesystems.org have over 40 people helping him out doing stuff like this. I have 3..

and Now some points:

I am going to be downgrading a lot of Mods as they are not helping out. Right now, Snafu, Dave3d and Ol'norton have done the biggest help in maintaining the site. Dave3D will be upgraded to a Full Moderator.

Snafu is a full admin and has access to all functions of the site except the webserver itself. Only I have direct access to the webserver.

I am going to be upgrading the site soon. The new version has a completely redesigned message editor. But I am still looking at the new editor and if it fixes the problems with the present one, I will do the upgrade.

I just hate doing the upgrades as it breaks all my addons and mods everytime and takes almost a week to fix them

Comment

I also forgot,

I am a BIG distributed Computing Nut. I am going to sponsor a forum for my present team for BOINC (Team Starfire World Boinc (TSWB)). and maybe I can sweet talk them into allowing me an IRC channel for BE!

presently, They are #24 in the list of Boinc teams.

Comment

Well, I still have my CM HAF-X case review to do.
                I just dont have the time for it.

I was thinking of just doing a pic review, with comments on the bottom.

I just did a mini review for Alice, actually a first impressions.

But, between work, and actually being able to work on the house right now (no snow, yay), and doing the Duke Nukem 3d: Reloaded project, I am just swamped.

Every day I try to follow Gods will. Every day, I struggle immensely with my human nature.

Comment

Congrats on full time Mod, Dave!

Well, I am 100% gamer, I have ammo and health packs in my blood. Problem being is that I'm in a 4yr degree program in college that includes summer courses so I'm beyond swamped. That also means I don't have a job so I can't buy new games to review them.

In terms of concentrating on hardware or software when it comes to gaming, hardware is definitely the aspect to focus on. When it comes to hardware reviews on other sites the gamers don't give a damn about ripping movies, compressing files, or any of that other stuff that reviews seem to love to throw in there.

Sure, we care if a GAME is multithreaded and can handle more than 2 cores, but the synthetic benches? Who cares.

If I had the time I would dedicate myself 100% to the game software side of things, as when I'm not in school I'm playing games for upwards of 14+hrs a day, anywhere from FPS (my fav genre) to RTS to fighting games to JRPGs. The only thing I never play are those idiotic social networking site games like Farmville and the "casual" garbage that I will never, EVER consider a game. So in that sense I am 100% completely biased against people who consider themselves gamers that only play that stuff.

Now if someone wants to gift me a new game or 2 from Steam, I'd be totally down for reviewing stuff

If you check my previous posts on this site, I have reviewed a few AAA title games, in some cases before the game was even released.

Anyway, if you do need a hand, feel free to PM me. If I can do it, I will. I love this site and you guys are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by RoachBurn View Post
                    The only thing I never play are those idiotic social networking site games like Farmville and the "casual" garbage that I will never, EVER consider a game. So in that sense I am 100% completely biased against people who consider themselves gamers that only play that stuff.

but then i don't consider myself a gamer either, so can we still be friends?

unless it involves breaking something, ya'll don't want me giving advise on anything, but that's for a different thread.

Comment

I remember the good ol' computer building and OCing days. Consoles have ruined that. Too many people accept crap games (this includes the graphics as well as gameplay).

Hmmmmmmm. New things ....

Asus P4P800 Deluxe
                      Intel P4 2.4c / Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu / Arctic Silver Ceramique
                      2x512 Mushkin PC3500 222 Black Hi Performance Level II
                      ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro / Sony G400 19" Trinitron Monitor
                      Two Western Digital 120 Gb Special Edition 8 Mb cache hdd's
                      Asus 40/12/48 cd-rw / LiteOn 166s 16x DVD-Rom
                      Onboard LAN
                      Antec SX1240 full tower
                      Soundblaster Live! Platinum 5.1 / CambridgeSoundworks 5.1 DTT 3500 Digital Speakers
                      Logitech Dual Optical Mouse
                      Logitech WebCam Traveler
                      Linksys EtherFast LNE100TX / Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Switch
                      Linksys EPSX3 EtherFast 3-Port Printserver
                      win98se

Comment

Thanks RoachBurn.
                        Maybe if you tell me what games you want to review, and what your steam name is, santa might have something waiting for you under the steam tree, if you really want to do reviews. IF you have the time that is.

@admkrk
                        LOL.
                        Comedy.
                        If I need anything broken, I know who to call now.

@traveler
                        Well, the casual gamer has taken over, and we hardcore pc elitist gamers are a dying breed. Try to posy in any thread about how console-y a game is, and get flamed to death about it.
                        Sigh.
                        ____________________________________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by admkrk View Post

but then i don't consider myself a gamer either, so can we still be friends?

unless it involves breaking something, ya'll don't want me giving advise on anything, but that's for a different thread.
                          the reason I got the Nickname of nutcase was I blew up 3 Mobo's in the same week when I was heavy into Overclocking

Comment

i knew there had to be some reason i liked you.

if it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough!

Comment

Snafu is a full admin and has access to all functions of the site except the webserver itself. Only I have direct access to the webserver.
                              I'm working on that

Thanks for the reminder about folding. It has been a while

Now where do I start. I've forgotten most of it

Snafu
                              Profile - Webpage

You can't live life without living - me

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

Comment

Working...
                              X