Diary - Snafu's First Case Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diary - Snafu's First Case Mod

Well I decided to give case modding a try. Here is the case that I am working on. It was a freebie - so no harm no foul. It is a fairly bland mid-tower beige box. I am planning to paint the case, add some LEDs, light strips, lights, a window and some decent fans to this case.

Since I want to paint not just the inside but the outside as well I tore the case apart and drilled out the rivets holding all the pieces together. I also took this time to open up some of the grills for better air flow but not all the way so little fingers could get inside.

The choice of paint was tough. I wanted something that would really jump out at you but nothing like the current case colours. I found some auto paint that has the appearance of anodised metals. They are like a clear lacquer and very vivid. The colour choices were red, blue, yellow and purple (at least these were the colours on the shelf - more may be available). Since I have seen red, blue and yellow cases I decided to go with purple as the main colour.

I did a little bit of testing on some other trash pieces to determine how well the paint would adhere to plastic and to painted as well as galvanised metals. The paint seems to adhere very well but it looks far better when the primer coat (metallic silver) is applied. So I chose to use teh primer coat with the lacquer oversprayed.

One downside is that the paint is fairly thin. If it is sprayed on too lightly the surface would be mottled. Too think and there were ugly runs. Getting the right amount on the piece is challenging. Even with the right amount the paint tends to gravitate to the edges (thicker) and not so well right at the corners. The only way to gain an even coat was to apply many layers (about five). However, the upside to this is that the coat looks very deep and dark. Very nice. The number of layers will allow wet sanding and polishing if I decide to take this appraoch.

Another downside to this paint is that each successive layer MUST be sprayed on within the hour or you have to wait for it to cure for five days before applying another coat. I challenged this and applied a second coat on a test piece that had dried overnight. Sure enough the solvent in the paint lifted the previous coats. So the moral of the story is don't start painting unless you can finish it in one go. Plan to set aside the time to paint the layers. With a primer coat and five colour coats I planned for at least six hours.

Okay so that's it for now. Next up will be pics of the primer coat and colour coats.
    Last edited by Snafu; 02-23-2006, 01:12 PM.

Snafu
    Profile - Webpage

You can't live life without living - me

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

Looking forward to pictures snafu

Comment

Indeed!

Comment

the BE pimp my case............

Comment

lol the BE super pimp case

Comment

This is going to be cool...

Comment

i agree with joe ,cant wait for pics

Comment

Well I hope I can live up to the expectations.

A small set-back. Actually two. First my wife took the camera to go to a birthday party. Any pics of test pieces will have to wait til much later tonight. Also I started painting the front panel and with no camera I can't takes pics of the stages. However, I will take pics of other pieces as layers are painted.

The second set back is that a nozzle on one of the spray cans decided to commit hari kari and fell off. I tried to use it but most of the paint would spray sideways and there were a lot of drips. Well this can is going back.

I had better luck with can #2 but ran out of paint before I could apply coats 4 and 5 <crap>. So I need to head to the store and pick up some more paint. Not bad but considering you need to apply coats within an hour or wait five days it looks like the other coats won't be applied until next weekend.

Oh well, I have the entire frame as well as the tops and sides that need the primer and maybe I will go with a blue interior instead of all purple.

Cheers

Snafu
                Profile - Webpage

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

Comment

Did a little priming with other pieces (which will have to wait a week until it cures since I missed the 1 hour window)

Doesn't look all that different from the run of the mill stamped pieces. Maybe I can post a better shot of a primed piece later.
                  Attached Files

Snafu
                  Profile - Webpage

Comment

One thing I noticed is that it is really hard to get a good shot of the effect with this paint. I think I might have to pull out some proper lighting to illustrate the coolness of this colour.

Anyways this is the front piece that has been primed and coated with 3 layers of the lacquer. It needs at least two more coats that will darken it a bit more. I ran out of paint before I could finish the job and what you can't tell by this pic is that the sides need more pant as the base coat is showing through too much.

Once all this painting is done I think I might try my hand at wet polishing the case for that glassy look. I might need to add a few more coats. I wonder how many coats car painters do before they wet sand. Anyone know?
                    Attached Files

Snafu
                    Profile - Webpage

Comment

Nice colorl snafu!

Comment

way ta go

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

purple..........thats what I did my daughters computer in, well like 3 different shades of it, i'll try to post pix tommorow (its a dell..........and I didn't paint the inside.) took the monitor apart even to do that also, it came out cool, she loves it (my wife wants a blue one now..................women..........)

Comment

Looking good Snafu. If your interested I did a case mod to my old PC which is now my sons. I call it the Spider-Man case. Alot people say the paint job is better than a car paint job. A word of advice, HOURS lots and lots of hours to achieve the mirror finish and yes I do use a polishing compound every so often to bring back that lusterios mirror finish.

This is a brief write up I did on it. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=347442

I'm also working on my new case mod which I call The Hulk, I'll have to find the pics.

g/l and happy modin'
                              Goli

EDIT: I found the first stages of The Hulk case, enjoy

Last edited by Sir Golitech; 02-11-2006, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X