GPU cooler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU cooler

Well unfortunately I didn't take pics along the way but the build was simple. I will note that I have been told the base plate should ideally be 3/8 - 1/2 inch thick or you will have big swings on temps. With that being said I will post some pics then explain the build.

The first is a failed attempt. The way I attached the base plate left me no good way to attach the studs. I tried tapping partially drilled holes only to snap my tap then followed by snapping a drill bit when I tried to relocate the holes. The one with the studs in it leaked around the studs hence the pc-11 trying to seal it. (didn't work)

Now the succesful one followed by the build instructions.

I had an extra DD MAZE4 here so I pulled the base plate off it. Inside was the maze design with a large o ring around the outside. I figured it would make a nice base plate. I believe it was a 1 5/8 inch coupling that fit the slot where the oring was. so I brazed it into place. Following this I grabbed a piece of 2in. copper and brazed a cap on the bottom. I then grabbed a 1 3/4 inch hole saw and drilled through the cap and pipe. I then set the base plate and extension in place. I used vice grips to hold it from falling in. I brazed one side and removed the vice grips. I then brazed around the other side. I didn't clean it or sand it up. The only place I cleaned is where it makes contact with the gpu. I then slide screws through the mounting holes. I wanted to fasten them so I only had to worry about the nuts on the other side. Once in place I used a copper reinfoced epoxy called nu-doh. The stuf is great and hard as a rock in 5-10 minutes.

Can't wait to see some results! What are you going to be running through the pipe?

*EDIT* I see your other posts! DIce!

Comment

Kewl, results, results. . . . . . . Post them . . . . . . .

Comment

Well it's going good so far..

Once I start upping my vgpu I think I will have to switch back to ATI Tool since tray tools maxes around 800

Comment

Nice! That would put you around 3rd on the Orb for ATI 850XT series!

Comment

8,240 ......05
            17,591 ......03

If OPP ran a PE then I have the #1 non-pe on the ORB. Otherwise checking all X850's I rank #4. As for 03 again if OPP and mikead ran PE's then I have the #1 non-pe. Otherwise out of all X850's I am currently #6 gonna have to see about changing that next weekend. :deviltail

Comment

Effin niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Comment

Damn, not bad for some copper and solder. . . . . .

Comment

Next you need to MOD IT!

Comment

How long can you play a game at those clocks with that set-up? Just curious to know how long the dry ice lasts.

Snafu
                    Profile - Webpage

You can't live life without living - me

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

Comment

I think i remember someone mentioning. around 20pounds of dry ice can last for a days worth of benchmarking.. so prolly the same applies for gaming ?

but anyway..

harley.. all i have to say is..

YOUR CRAZY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Android Vageta
                        Next you need to MOD IT!
                        It is modded lol. Actually just soldered a molex on with each lead tied to the card for my read points.

As for how long it lasts well...... I normally fill the tubes up enough for the bench run I am doing. I guess if I fill them all the way maybe 15min. or so lol. CS:S might be a good one just have to take a lil extra choosing weapons.

I bought 45lbs sat. morning. I benched Sat. night a good bunch of hours Sun. and am finishing it off now but can't get my VX to cooperate.

Comment

Definitely an intersting experiment. Now go bug the OCZ guys for help with your VX

Snafu
                          Profile - Webpage

You can't live life without living - me

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

Comment

Ah gave up on the VX lol shifted bk to my plats. almost out of DI and no score improvements yet. Guess it'll havta wait till next weekend gonna build a new cooler w/ thicker baseplate.

Comment

GJ dude !!

Comment

Working...
                              X