Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I7 memory question

Hello.

I have 8gb (4x2gb) of the same memory (all the same sku, from 2 kits) G-Skill.
    I also have 4gb (2x2gb) of Corsair memory.

What would be the chance of getting them all to work together in an I7 setup?

Like:
    2 gskil + 1 corsair, slots 1,3,5
    2 gskil + 1 corsair, slots 2,4,6

Think it can be done?

Every day I try to follow Gods will. Every day, I struggle immensely with my human nature.

I cannot say for certain because I have not mixed varying brands and sizes since DDR1 days, but the first thing I would do is grab the mb manual, online if needed, and check memory configuration section.

According to what I read on my P7P55D EVO (4 slots), I would think it's possible and that everything would run at the slowest overall timings, be it that the board is compatible with both brands in the first place. Also hopefully the voltages are the same or pretty close where you could use one common voltage to maintain stability.

This manual mentions it will also go as far as to use the smallest memory size in a given channel attempt to map that to dual channel and use the leftover in single channel.

Comment

I've been running 4 gig of G-Skill & 2 gig of Corsair for a few months in an X58A UD3R.
      The G-Skill is overclocked to the Cosair spec & no problems.
      You should be able to do 8 gig.

Comment

Cool.
        Thanks guys.

Actually it would be 12gb:
        8gb gskill (4x2gb), and 4gb corsair (2x2gb).

Every day I try to follow Gods will. Every day, I struggle immensely with my human nature.

Comment

In this matter you have required to check that there is capable the processor to support that RAM. Because this manual mentions it will also go as far as to use the smallest memory size in a given channel attempt to map that to dual channel and use the leftover in single channel. Therefore, just check it out once a time.

Comment

Kind of getting confusing in this thread.

NOTE: I might ramble a bit.

First,

Core i7's based on LGA1156 socket have a dual channel memory controller
            Core i7's based on LGA1366 socket have a triple channel memory controller.

requirement is that Ram must not require more Than 1.65V vdimm to run at rated spec. Long term running of the Vdimm running higher can Damage the CPU. NOTE: Short term over that seems to not affect the cpu.

If the different type of Ram has close to same specs. you should have no problem. Ram Mfr's base their specs to be compatible with almost all Mobo's and cpu's.

At worst, you may have to manually set your timings in the Bios.

and last, I have found that LGA1366 cpu's are much less finicky about Ram than the Lga1156 cpu's.

Comment

Yeah, I was talking about the 1366.

You cant do 6 sticks on 1156.
              :P

Spec'ed out the computer I want to build, and w/o the new case (HAF X) and psu (Corsair 1200w), which arent out yet, it came to 2400-2600 $.

I can drop that by $400 if I use the old memory I have.

But, at $2000, I am finding it VERY hard to justify getting a new comp, as my current rig will play every single game I have at high or very high settings.
              And new games are usually based on old tech because of the lowest common denominator (ie: consoles), and arent pushing graffix at all.
              Heck, I dont even need a new graffix card

My upgrade-a-holic-ness is going crazy.
              I havent bought anything computer related since that quad core q9650 a month ago, and that was only like $50.

Comment

Working...
              X