Solid State Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Drive

I will start this thread, but I will not have time to finish it in this sitting, as I am working 6 hrs OT today.

I will update this when I get back around 12:30 to 1:00 this afternoon.
    I recently bought an SSD, it is a BiWin A816 Elite series 60gb from Newegg. I think it will be a great drive once I figure out how to install Windows 7 64 bit on it. Right now all it does is load the windows drivers and quit. I do not get any error messages. it's like it just hangs there.
    ok, off to work. Be back soon.

Ken

PS: My motherboard is the ASUS M4A78-E and all drivers have been updated.
    Last edited by RacingKen; 08-11-2012, 03:41 AM.

Does it ask for additional software when loading windows...when I loaded windows on the 520's..i had to go into the MB CD and load drivers for the SSD...I put them on a USB and loaded them...this had me fooled for a bit..I google it

Asus X99 PRO Intel I7 5960X EVGA GTX 1080 Intel 750 SSD 400GB 32 GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 4x8 RipJaw's MM extended U2-UFO case

"If you do what you've always done. You get what you always got."

Comment

Yep.
      First off, make sure you have AHCI on for hdd's in the bios.
      Then, copy the ahci drivers on a usb thumb drive.
      When installing windows, make sure you select the 'I need additional drivers' in the win7 setup (I cant remember at which point that is though, so try googling it).

Every day I try to follow Gods will. Every day, I struggle immensely with my human nature.

Comment

I appreciate the ideas buds

Originally posted by lakeside2189 View Post
        Does it ask for additional software when loading windows...when I loaded windows on the 520's..i had to go into the MB CD and load drivers for the SSD...I put them on a USB and loaded them...this had me fooled for a bit..I google it
        No, it doesn't ask for additional drivers when loading windows, and it did not come with any driver/instalation disk.

Dave! it never even gets to the setup part of the instalation, and as far as copying the AHCI drivers, I don't know where to find any, But I did go into the bios and change fron SATA to AHCI. Then it will keep telling me (on a black screen) to choose the proper drive to continue the instalation, but there is no where to make a choice and I have to exit the instalation using the F1 key I think it is. Whenever it does look like it might be starting to run the setup it is on the screen that is similar to the win7 original desktop, blue and kind of green with a few swirls I think, oh and the big cursor after it does the spinning (somethings loading thing) and thats the end of it.

Frustrated maybe getting drunk later Ken....... lol

Comment

Originally posted by RacingKen View Post
          No, it doesn't ask for additional drivers when loading windows, and it did not come with any driver/instalation disk.

Dave! it never even gets to the setup part of the instalation, and as far as copying the AHCI drivers, I don't know where to find any, But I did go into the bios and change fron SATA to AHCI. Then it will keep telling me (on a black screen) to choose the proper drive to continue the instalation, but there is no where to make a choice and I have to exit the instalation using the F1 key I think it is. Whenever it does look like it might be starting to run the setup it is on the screen that is similar to the win7 original desktop, blue and kind of green with a few swirls I think, oh and the big cursor after it does the spinning (somethings loading thing) and thats the end of it.

Frustrated maybe getting drunk later Ken....... lol
          Ken..it wants the drivers...does it ask if you have a usb or cd for added drivers that are needed...the drivers are on your MB CD...Ill have to find them on mine..I use asus MB's also...you just put a bland usb in and when you open the iflor...etc etc...the drivers start like that...just drag and drop

Asus X99 PRO Intel I7 5960X EVGA GTX 1080 Intel 750 SSD 400GB 32 GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 4x8 RipJaw's MM extended U2-UFO case

Comment

When I start the PC with the instalation disc in the drive, it does have a line that says Press F8 to install any special software, but I don't own a thumb/flash drive, I could go buy one in awhile if I need to. I do have an external HDD for storage I could maybe find the driver and add it to that, if it would work that way.

I appreciate the help LS.

Ken Not yet drinking.... lol

Comment

When I start the PC with the instalation disc in the drive, it does have a line that says Press F8 to install any special software, but I don't own a thumb/flash drive, I could go buy one in awhile if I need to. I do have an external HDD for storage I could maybe find the driver and add it to that, if it would work that way.

I appreciate the help LS.

Ken Not yet drinking.... lol
              Thats it Ken...I am assuming you have your MB disc..if not go to the asus website....if so...on my MB disc it says make a disc...if yours doesnt go to drivers and there will be a intel storage area...you need the AHCI drivers...you can prolly load them on a CD but you should get a usb when you can..its great to update your bios for your MB and you can store pics or anything impotant on it..you can also get like a 8 gig one and add things to it like extra files since your SSD is only 60 gb's

when you get to the part that says do you have these...if you have them burned on a CD...press F8..if you didnt do it right....it wont load...look at your MB disc...do this before the drinking begins..preferably

Comment

I searched for over an hr for my Motherboard disc, and could not find it. I know I saw it les than a year ago.
                I wish the wife would stop putting things up for me, it would make my life so much easier.

I downloaded a bios update from ASUS, but I cannot see the files on the D: drive when I try to use the Easy Flash2 bios updater.
                Getting ready to go to wallyworld to buy a SanDisk Cruzer 8GB USB Flash Drive for $16.99, maybe I will wait till Radio Shack opens and buy the SanDisk® 32GB Cruzer® USB Flash Drive for just $17.99 on sale.

Ken

Comment

Update

Yesterday I got my new Memory for the new system build. It is the (Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory XMP T1 Series Model KHX21C11T1K2/8X), And I just now finished ordering the Motherboard, The (ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS), both from The Egg. The memory was under $50 with shipping and tax included. The MB was just under $110, and I can continue to use my AMD Phenom 550BE till I get the New 3.1ghz 8 core. Which was $159.99 when I checked a bit ago. So maybe next month I will get that and the (COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7).

Ken

PS I have been experiancing a sound problem with my onboard sound, such as the mic does not work, yet when I am on TS my friends tell me they can hear the sound when I was on a youtube video. Very strange!
                  And when I try to change the settings for the mic, then come back to the right settings I get the warning that it is in use by another program.

Comment

I searched for over an hr for my Motherboard disc, and could not find it. I know I saw it les than a year ago.
                    I wish the wife would stop putting things up for me, it would make my life so much easier.

I downloaded a bios update from ASUS, but I cannot see the files on the D: drive when I try to use the Easy Flash2 bios updater.
                    Getting ready to go to wallyworld to buy a SanDisk Cruzer 8GB USB Flash Drive for $16.99, maybe I will wait till Radio Shack opens and buy the SanDisk® 32GB Cruzer® USB Flash Drive for just $17.99 on sale.

Ken
                    go here...you should be able to get the files you need...unless your waiting on a new MB....

http://support.asus.com/download/opt...uage=en&type=1

Comment

and yes, the bios update is really easy now...just down load it and drag it over to the usb...plug the usb in before starting your PC..go into bios...go to ezflash...you will find it under tools

Comment

Thanks LS, I downloaded the new bios update friday, but couldn't get it to install, I didn't even have an unzipping utility, I now do though. 7zip, It worked well, but now I am just waiting for Radio Shack to open at 11:00 to get the SanDisk® 32GB Cruzer® USB Flash Drive. and may as well get the wife a 16 gig for all her pictures while I'm there. She has around 2000 photos to save.

Ken

Comment

Bios update

Well I updated my bios to the newest one available, it didn't change anything tho, including my sound problem, I think it may be a port problem.
                          I can chat with a usb mic, but I can hear a high pitched whistle, although just barely. But it does drive me crazy if I don't take the headset off for awhile, when there are no other sounds playing. I wish my xfi titanium card didn't quit right when the warranty ran out.

Ken

Comment

Does you mobo have a pci slot?
                            I have an audigy card sitting here doing nothing.
                            ____________________________________________________________

Every day I try to follow Gods will. Every day, I struggle immensely with my human nature.

Comment

Well I updated my bios to the newest one available, it didn't change anything tho, including my sound problem, I think it may be a port problem.
                              I can chat with a usb mic, but I can hear a high pitched whistle, although just barely. But it does drive me crazy if I don't take the headset off for awhile, when there are no other sounds playing. I wish my xfi titanium card didn't quit right when the warranty ran out.

Ken
                              also Ken, since you are using a sound card...did you disable the on board sound after the bios change...it would most likely set the MB back to its default settings...which would have the on board sound turned on which could cause conflict...actually, it sounds like you have both things going on which would or could cause the problems you mentioned...with a sound card the MB's built in sound MUST be disabled to operate correctly...!
                              Last edited by lakeside2189; 08-12-2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X