My First Attempt In Watercooling!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Attempt In Watercooling!!!

I decided to just build a wooden box instead of buying a full tower case..It looks ghetto but it's no big deal because this rig is hidden from my kids naughty hands anyway...
    I used a 12V/30A automotive relay and made my own switch for the pumps. I using 50/50 automotive antifreeze/coolant . I wrapped my tubing with no.12 copper wire (PDX) in spiral manner for making nice bends rather than using elbows..
    I'm priming my 2.4c at 3.5 GHz (292 FSB) at the moment, using 1.625 vcore..I'll lower the vcore later..Ive booted as high as 3.8XX earlier..
    Motherboard monitor is reporting 52 degrees temp with prime95 running...System temp is 32 degrees..I think ABIT mobos are really notorious in reporting temps..
    Ill be happy if I could finish 24-Hour Prime95 @3.5...What I like about this is the "quietness" ..
    This is my first attempt in watercooling so pls feel free to give suggestions/ comments to make my rig better..
    Last edited by Jojo1971; 09-20-2003, 04:44 PM.

i know nothing about water cooling but....

why are you using antifreeze?
    antifreeze isnt actually a coolant at all ~ its antifreeze!

try a product called "water wetter" mixed with distiled water.
    its red and works great for cars that dont use antifreeze.
    (like down here in hot south FLA)

sorry if im way off base here

Comment

i went to the garage and read the container: it says antifreeze and coolant..actually i had a bottle of water wetter yesterday but spilled all of it because of too much excitement to fire this thing up ..

Comment

yes i know it says coolant ~ but its a worse coolant then water is.

hotrodders know this ~ never use antifreeze in a hotrod thats in a hot climate and doesnt need antifreezing protection.

water is a much better heat conductor then antifreeze.

Comment

aha i guess i make another trip to autozone tomorrow...

Comment

Great first shot, keep up the good work

The anti-freeze mix that you are using will actually make your temps higher. So far, no one has found a better coolant then water. Your best bet for a clean and good performing system is to use distilled water and the proper amount of water wetter. It will do two things for you. 1) it will act as a mild anti-bacterial to keep your system grunge free and 2) it performs a similar function to anti-freeze.

RH

Comment

I know nothing of water cooling either, but that box is a GREAT idea. Nice job.

Comment

oh yea! very nice job on that box

Comment

Originally posted by ThugsRook
                  oh yea! very nice job on that box
                  I run antifreeze it does a good job. Antifreeze will keep the bugs out longer then water wetter. I've run distilled water straight and it lasted around 30 days before grew bugs. Around 3 months for water wetter and over 5 months for antifreeze. Antifreeze runs cool, maybe not the coolest but cool enough.
                  Last edited by Skully; 09-21-2003, 11:46 AM.

Comment

By the by nice H2o rig!
                    Last edited by Skully; 09-21-2003, 11:48 AM.

Comment

i did some searching and found out some interesting facts about long term use of water wetter ..http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...0&pagenumber=3

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...hreadid=233219

Comment

Originally posted by Jojo1971
                        i did some searching and found out some interesting facts about long term use of water wetter ..http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...0&pagenumber=3

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...hreadid=233219
                        Antifreeze has worked best for me. You can use Distilled water, then every 2 weeks add some bleach to kill the bugs. I've done that, but its to much of a hassle. Between water wetter, Antifreeze, distilled water, and distilled water and bleach. Antifreeze and distilled water was less of a hassle.

Comment

actually im using tap water coz i know it has some chlorine in it + antifreeze/coolant..

my hyperX3000 is doing better than my OCZ 3700 gold. max boot for hyper is 317FSB (3804 mhz)at 3:2 ratio while for 3700 is only 280 fsb at 3:2 ...

well, so far im 24-hour prime95 stable at 292 fsb or 3.508 GHz using 3:2 ratio/and 1.65 vcore.. i need a DDR that will enable me to use the 5:4 ratio.. i afraid to get another OCZ so i might consider mushkin's top of the line..

Comment

ok, sorry for steering you wrong there.
                            glad you looked into it tho

317fsb?
                            what timings are you running on the KHX3000?

Comment

i believe it was 2.5-8-4-4. that was when i first fired up this rig after the watercooling setup was installed).. now i just tried 317 it wont boot, but would at 314 but would crash right away..

Comment

Working...
                              X