Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build

Well here we are yet again

Looking to build a new machine, tell me what you guys think of this setup. I've been out of the loop for so long, don't know if this stuff is any good.

- MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ 970 DDR3 2PCI-E16 SLI CrossFire 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 USB3.0 GBLAN Motherboard
    - AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core Processor 3.6GHZ Socket AM3+ 95W
    - Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit
    - Western Digital WD 1TB Caviar Green SATA3 Intellipower 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD
    - Coolermaster V8 CPU Heatsink Cooler LGA775 LGA1155 LGA1156 LGA1366 AM3 120MM 800-1800RPM 17-21 dbA

Cheers
    Jeff

Hmmmm
    Few issues i have with that build:

1. MSI mobo. No. Just, no. MSI has the crappiest parts, and horrible QA.
    2. Bulldozer. I would not get a bulldozer cpu, if you are going to game. WAY too many issues with gaming. The proc just likes to crash games randomely, or not so randomly. Even with the bios fix, they still crash games. I would stay away from bulldozer's.
    3. OCZ memory. OCZ has stopped making memory. If the memory goes bad, you may be SOL on warranty, or even replacements.
    4. The WD 'green' drive. If its for the OS, it will kill your performance. I have a 2.5" (with 3.5" adapter/cooler) 300gb Raptor drive I just took out of one of my systems (replaced with a corsair force 3 ssd drive). If you want, I can sell that to you for cheap. If you can afford it, an ssd is the way to go nowadays.
    5. CM isnt the best heatsinks out there, and they are heavy. You can get a corsair H-60 through80 for as much as the CM is, and it will cool much better and be much lighter. The only downside is that you need to vaccum the radiator every month (it collects dirt 5x more than regular heatsinks).

Sorry.
    But you asked.

Every day I try to follow Gods will. Every day, I struggle immensely with my human nature.

Comment

No don't be sorry Dave, I did ask.

Ok lets hit this from a different direction.

1) Budget is pretty slim right now, say $600, maybe $800(if I can sweet talk the wife)
      2) Yes it would be for gaming, but I don't need a kill all gaming type rig. Diablo 3 is a game I'll be playing lots of. Other games would include, SC2, Batman AA & AC.

I'm just trying to catch up slightly to the tec. That and I also have Win7 burning a hole in my desk, waiting to be used and it won't work with my current rig.

Comment

I will have to get back to on this.
        Trying to hit beta today.

Every day I try to follow Gods will. Every day, I struggle immensely with my human nature.

Comment

Cheers & G/L

Comment

OK

- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
            -ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
            -CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
            -Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$564 @ newegg.

You can get a Corsair H-60 cooler for around $60-70
            Or just stick with the stock cooler unless you want to OC.
            I am assuming you already have a video card, since you didnt list one? If not, the Intel has built in gpu.
            And a case?
            And PSU?

Comment

I built this system (similar) and posted in this thread.

The failing was the OCZ SSD. Apparently needs a flash to work properly and I haven't the time to do it. What a royal PITA when it goes

Snafu
              Profile - Webpage

You can't live life without living - me

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

Comment

Originally posted by Dave3d View Post
                I am assuming you already have a video card, since you didnt list one? If not, the Intel has built in gpu.
                And a case?
                And PSU?
                Yes I have my 8800GTS x2 to play with for now.
                Case, no problem.
                PSU, I should pick one up.

Comment

ok, time for me to throw my penny in

Your OCZ 850W Psu will be enough to run the rig.

now, 16GB is a little overkill for a quad core cpu. 8GB is more than enough for 90% of the applications out.

if you Go Intel, The New Ivy Bridge cpu's were just released. They draw less power and should run cooler than the i5-2500K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=Ivy%20Bridge

oops, I should be using the CA site since you live in Canada!

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...e=Ivy%20Bridge
                  Last edited by nutcase; 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...e_temperatures

Overclocking Site Solves Mystery Behind Higher Ivy Bridge Temperatures

:O
                    ____________________________________________________________

Comment

thanks guys

I'll stew on it for a bit here and talk with the wife. After all, our 10th anniversary is coming up on the 18th.

Comment

Isnt the present for 10th anniversary a kick-arse computer?

6-core Intel EE
                        SSDx2 in raid
                        2tb hddx2
                        GTX680x3
                        24gb memory
                        Thermaltake Level 10 case
                        3x120hz 24inch monitors
                        Asus sound card (or equivelant)
                        1200w psu
                        2000w ups

Thats what I would ask for for a 10th anniversary.

BTW:
                        Congrats on 10 years.
                        ____________________________________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by Dave3d View Post
                          Isnt the present for 10th anniversary a kick-arse computer?
                          Here's the kicker, Tin is the traditional 10th wedding gift. LOL I'm so liking this

Comment

Computer cases are made of tin

Got a notice from NCIX that they are shipping the new Ivy bridge cpu's.

Snafu
                            Profile - Webpage

You can't live life without living - me

Nothing is that important that it must be done today as long as you will wake up tomorrow - me

Comment

Or you could go with the ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS for 96.99 on the Newegg ca site. I just got mine, and am about ready to install it this am.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X