PDA

View Full Version : Organizing clip art files

joeMan
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
:?:

I have about 75,000 clip art files in a folder on my network drive. I have collected them over the years and the collection has gotten out of control.

They are accesible to everyone in the house here but how in the heck can I organize this many of them so I can do key word searches? The MS Office clip organizer doesn't work, it wants me to manually go through and add each one - ya right. I have Googled around but can't find any utility to help me out...does such a thing exist? Is there any kind meta data embedded in clip art files so they can be auto sorted and searched?

Thanks,

jM

Snafu
04-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Keep an eye open for WinFS (future storage) file system for XP. This is suppose to be a feature of Longhorn but looks like MS is realeasing it early for XP.

Says that hsi is a database driven design that makes it possible to continuously index all your files on the hard drive. This allows easy and instantaneous content search results of all files on your PC.

So I have read. Might be worth a try (and a quick write up ;))

BB_One
04-26-2005, 06:54 AM
WinFs is what delayed Longhorn among other things for a while. true they plan on making it available for XP, puzzling question is when for XP and when for Longhorn? 2006? 07?

Considering Longhorn is scheduled to be release December 2006, and it is stated that WinFS will NOT be part of Longhorn on initial release, one would not expect WinFS until late 2007 at best for Longhorn and who knows when for XP.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/WinFS/default.aspx

In spite of what may be stated in this content, WinFS is not a feature that will come with the Longhorn Operating System. However, WinFS will be available on the Windows platform at some future date, which is why this content continues to be provided for your information.

Company officials said they were not sure when and via what version of Windows Microsoft ultimately will make WinFS available. Microsoft has talked about Blackcomb versions of Windows as the next major follow-ons to Longhorn. But they aren't expected to ship until the end of this decade

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1640454,00.asp

In short a good organizer might be a smart investment. joeMan have you looked into ACDSee pretty nifty but I suspect you will still have to do some sort of manual input/organizing.

joeMan
04-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Will keep an eye out for this. Thank you.