PDA

View Full Version : Testing software up the kazoo

timpanogos
04-21-2005, 06:37 AM
I’ve downloaded several oc tools over the last week, loaded several up last night to play …

Of course the standard goodies (a64tweaker, cpuz, mbm5 with some nf4 customizations, etc). But I was a bit fuzzy on these bench marking/stressing utilities – notably

With prime95 shutting down my power after about 3 minutes (bios heat shutdown??) I was interested to try a couple others.

SiSoftware
3DMark5

SiSoftware apparently does not come free with the “burn” option
3DMark5 also is handicapped for the free version.

What software is worth paying for … and they all seem to have their various profession, enterprise, home gumbie etc. versions, what do I want.

I found some guys that had some *.rar files that somehow plug into mbm5, customized for the dfi nF4/amd64 combo … is this a good monitoring tool, or once again, am I going to be looking at paying for a decent monitoring tool (temp/fan speed etc.)?

Out of all the “stuff” available out there … please give me some thoughts on what to really settle on, and what to pay for.

Thanks all!!

Chad

Snafu
04-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Memtest86+ is good at stressing out your proc/mem

For stressing the core of g-cards 3DM01SE test 4 - nature test really heats up the core more than any other 3DM bench especially if you loop the tests (25x) & disable the title screens. 3DM03 trolls lair is good to stress the mem (looped 3-4 times but you need the pro license to do this)

Rivatuner is a great tool for your g-card.

I think there is a proggy call system burn-in (cannot recall the exact name) but it is free and decent so I hear (I have it on disk at home to try out).

F@H (two instances with HT enabled procs) is a decent stress program.

SuperPi can also stress out your proc/mem and is free (32M calculations are ~30 minutes)

Well those are some to get your started. Nearly all are free (all but the pro license of 3DM03 to loop tests).

Cheers

glorfy
04-21-2005, 07:18 AM
Snafu - it's an AMD system - one instance of F@H only! Don't pay for Nuffink is what I would say, unless you want to have multiple slots for 3dmark.

There is no good monitoring tool - they're all inaccurate to some degree for voltages. I only use Smart guardian - comes with your MB.

You haven't mentioned clockgen for overclocking.

Also S&M 1.51 seems a good tool. Here's a link to a site with lots of cool burn in thigies, including S&M 1.51 - you realy don't want to be putting that in your search engine!

link (http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_cpu.html)

Snafu
04-21-2005, 07:53 AM
True - AMD just don't have the processing power :lol: just kdding

BB_One
04-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Like Glorfy said, do not waste money on benchie thingies....not worth it and plenty of thingies to go around to perform the tasks, free and legal!

timpanogos
04-21-2005, 08:35 AM
good advice on that s&m search (especially here at work!)

Thanks all!!

BTW, I'm up and appear windows stable at 200 with tight timings. However, prime95 shuts my machine right off ... assume it's the temp shutdown?? got to get my xp-120 on!

I need to look closer at the superPi it only ran about 10 seconds for me ... I'll look closer.

I'll check out the clockgen ...

at 250 * 10.5 no div, I boot up but windows weirds after a bit ...

at 250 * 11 windows boots, but locks up after awhile (disk access stuck on)

anyway .... lots of fun ahead!!!

Thanks one and all for your support/help!!!

Chad

Snafu
04-21-2005, 08:45 AM
For superPi you can select the number of decimel places it will calculate out to. having it calculate 32million (32M) decimel places takes about half an hour.

I am hearing folks having isues with Prime95. It's a good stressful program but not necessarily an indicator of stability.

BTW "stability" is a relative term based on what you want and can vary between systems with the same hardware. For some stable is running 24/7 without problems. For others it is stable if they can run and submit a bench mark score (albeit not great for day to day use). And anywhere in between.

glorfy
04-21-2005, 09:31 AM
OK - quick bit of advice! DO NOT use .5 multipliers! Whole ones only! 10.5X250 is actually 11X238 ish. The thing with the VX memory you're using is that it requires an amount of vdimm to run at 250 1:1 - are you giving it enough! I have some BH6 ram - similar ish - and to run 260 2,2,2,5 I need to put 3.5-3.6v through it :yikes: I believe the warranty on VX is 3.5v.

Start another thread in the relevant forum when/if you need help with it!

:wave: :thumb:

BB_One
04-21-2005, 10:47 AM
at 250 * 11 windows boots, but locks up after awhile (disk access stuck on)

What is you vcore for that setup?
Lock up described symptomatic of not enough vcore....maybe 0.025 more or so is the solution. But watch temp....

timpanogos
04-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I was only ever able to run memtest @250*11 at the tight timings for about 5 minutes before it would start to error ... heat ... that's when I ordered the xp-120 ...

to really run at this I need at least 1.550 * 104 -- but can not sustain it as it got to hot. Just had to try it, ya know .... :coocoo:

And Glorfy, apprecitate it, I think it was you that informed me of the .5 thing before ... shooting for 11*250 when I get my 120/ys-tech 105 cfm on.... :beer:

BB_One
04-21-2005, 04:57 PM
To run 2750 with my 4000+ ( FX 53 if u want), I required a vcore of 1.7 volts in bios showned as 1.66 in Smart Gurdian. So honestly I doubt much you will reach 2750 on 1.61 and be stable.

Little trick that you may want to explore, don't ask why it just works and was found by AndyOcz.

To reach you 1.61 vcore, instead of utilizing 1.550 X 104. Use lower vcore value and higher multiplier, example: 1300x123%=1.600 or 1325x123%=1.629, etc. Keep absolute value to lowest possible and use higher multiplier.

For my setup I use 1250X136%=1.700 in bios and 1.66 in Samrt Guardian as stated above, and my max cpu temp under load according to guardian is ~ 48°c ish as I type and fold.

Ain't overclocking fun..LOL!

timpanogos
04-21-2005, 07:33 PM
:beer:
:D
:thumbs:

With a lot of help from my new found friends !!!

paint uploaded files, did all this ... as shown below..

Thanks one and all!!

This at (viewed from bios):
core: 1.56 (1.525 *104)
ldt: 1.41 (1.4)
cs: 1.73 (1.7)
dram: 3.46 (3.4)

(I need to go back and try your trick on the low/high multi)

Front panel temp
mem (hottest corner, farthest from cpu) 38C
cpu (stuck in a pipe just over block) 43C (bios was reading about 8C over this probe)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/Timpanogos/cpuzcpu.png
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/Timpanogos/cpuzmem.png
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/Timpanogos/tweaker.png

Not stable yet, don't think however ... more playing to do!!!

Chad

BB_One
04-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Well u sure are making progress. suggesttion which will also reduce heat generated by PWM IC, ldt anbd chipeset voltages, bring them back at default value. I have found no diffference at 2750, utilizing higher voltages instead of defalt voltages. Did not help stability or oclocking at that frequency.

Only thing it did is generated heat. Try it at default, but u will need to raise vcore.

timpanogos
04-21-2005, 08:03 PM
bb, your on a xp-120 right??? I'm still a bit hot I think?? is the 55 hotter than that 53? I guess 200 hours with some cycle might make some diff ... maybe I'll have to try lapping it?

anyway, I was up one notch on the core 1.550 * 1.04 .. superPi shut it down (hit 60C)

but I need to go back and try your other high multipler trick ...

Thanks for all your help!!

Chad

RyderOCZ
04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Chad, make sure you have a fan on the ram, those VX get hot, d#$n hot, real hot...hottest things is my shorts I could cook things in them....(ooops errr sorry, lapsed into a little Robin Williams there) :lol: :lol:

Anyway....some type of fan rigged to blow air across the dimms will do nicely :thumb:

timpanogos
04-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks Ryder!!

BB had me put a 60mm blowing across the pwm and over the ram. The new xp-120 also blows directory over one stick.

I have a heat sensor tapped to the hottest corner of the ram and I think things are looking good. 40C .. that's ok right??