PDA

View Full Version : AVG Anti-Virus...

joeMan
03-24-2005, 02:18 PM
I have been using this non-intrusive anti-virus program called AVG. I'm sure some of you have already heard of it. It is very good, free, and can be tweaked so as to not be a resource hog - you can run it fully manually, or leave it on auto pilot. I like to manually do stuff as I hate things running in the background.

Anyway,
Read about it here (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5)
Download it here (http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg70free_308a468.exe) ~ this link might be dead after they update it, by the time some people read this so just use the link above to go to the free page and download it from there.

Then, follow these steps to make it totally manual, non-intrusive:

Download and install AVG Antivirus Free Edition ~ NOTE: if you want to go manual/non-intrusive mode you should choose the "Custom" installation option during install, where you can completely skip installing a few of the automated features entirely. Then, once it is installed and executed:

Select the Scheduler box, and in the bottom of the screen click the ʹScheduled Tasksʹ button. Double‐click on each of the scheduled tasks listed and in the box that opens, untick all available options to disable regularly scheduled scanning, updates etc.

Click once on the Shell Extension box in the Control Center, and on the bottom of the screen select the Deactivate button to remove AVG from Windows context menus etc.

Double‐click on the Email Scanner box in the Control Center, and click the ʹDisable Pluginʹ button.

Double‐click on the Resident Shield box in the Control Center and untick all the options under the Properties tab to disable background scanning.

The final step in removing all the background tasks is to disable the unnecessary AVG‐related Services and startup items. These take up a great deal of resources even after you have disabled much of the background functionality in AVG itself.

Remove the ʹAvgccʹ item (avgcc.exe) from your startup, and disable the ʹAVG7 Alert Manager Serverʹ service (these can be done via msconfig).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Under "Services" in XP you should set the ʹAVG7 Update Serviceʹ to Manual for AVGʹs Internet Update functionality to work, otherwise you will not be able to successfully update AVG.

Once all the background and system‐intrusive features of AVG have been disabled, you must now manually scan for viruses regularly. Make sure to update the virus definitions often (at least once a week), and run the ʹComplete Testʹ in AVG once a week or more to ensure a clean system.

~ THE WINDOWS XP TWEAKING COMPANION Copyright 2005 Koroush Ghazi

FireDancer
03-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Nice post Joeman,

Yes it is a very good free AV as you have stated.. I have it on my wifes machine and all my kids machines as well and it is easy to use too!!!! :thumbs:

FIREDANCER

Hawk
03-25-2005, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the info . . .

Jojo1971
04-08-2005, 03:29 PM
i dumped my norton AV because of AVG..AVG doesnt use as much memory as norton does..

PGIV
04-08-2005, 10:39 PM
AVG is a nice program and is much less of a resource hog than NAV. Running in the fully manual mode, as you outlined, doesn't make much sense to me. You essentially have no protection against viruses as they come in; via e-mail or as files are opened. You only scan after the fact. I'd much rather stop them before they can do any damage than to hope that AVG will remove/repair (heal) the damage after it's done

joeMan
04-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Yes, true. That approach is for ultra-purists who want to eliminate any background progs - it's for leaning out you system for whatever reason (games, photodhop, rendering huge video files, etc.).

I have it set manually on my machine but on my kids machine I have it running full-on. It scans for new virus definitions every night between 2-4AM and then does a full system scan at 5:50 or 6AM, something like that. I've been checking in on it now and again and it is doing it's thing just fine.

I might switch over to auto mode soon since, like you say, it not so bad a hog as the BIG PKG's - Symantec, McAfee (sp?)...etc.