PDA

View Full Version : Can you copy and paste .pdf files to word?

spookyload
02-22-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a huge document that was scanned into a computer. It isn't a great job scanning either. Is there a program that will let me copy and paste it to MS word? It is an accident report from a plane crash in 1979 that was origionally typed, then when the NTSB went electronic in the 80's, they merely scanned the typed pages and created a .pdf that way. Please help as I don't want to retype all 200 pages by hand! :yikes:

pointreyes
02-22-2005, 10:08 PM
It will cost you money unfortunately. :( Adobe Acrobat (not the reader) will provide an add-in in Word to do what you want. I'm not aware of any freeware that will allow this. I remember that WordPerfect Office 2002 actually gave me the ability to create pdf files even though I did not have Acrobat installed on the system.

pointreyes
02-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Just checked for you if the latest version of WordPerfect Office and it claims it does the pdf files: http://www.directdeals.com/item_OEM-WPO12S.aspx
Don't worry-this is place is completely legal - they are not in another country selling copies of software. :) Note that I'm honestly not sure if this will fully work on that 200 page document.

sodface
02-23-2005, 07:15 PM
spookyload I hope I'm not pointing out the obvious here, but if these are actual images of text, like below, you can change the select text tool, to select image tool instead and then copy them to the clipboard, if the document is not protected in some way.

Also, if they are images, I don't think any app is going to convert them to actual text if that's what you are looking for. You'd have to get the images out and OCR them to get them into text format, and if the scans are as bad as you say, the results may not be what you are looking for.

Snafu
02-23-2005, 07:31 PM
As much I play with PDF and Word I ahve not found an easy way to get PDF into Word. Maybe I just haven't asked the right person yet :o

What I have done however, is use the graphic select tool to select the page and then pasted this into the Word document. You would have to do this for every page but it would put the image into Word for you.

Would have been better if it were scanned as a JPEG.

If you need it as text in the word document then as noted before you will need an OCR program and then proof read all 200 pages to make corrections (they were never 100% when I used them last - 5 years back).

Maybe there is something out there that could clean up the image? Just a thought

Cheers

flex22
02-24-2005, 02:11 PM
i dont know if this will work :)
is it on your desktop? cant you put in there
right click choose which progran to open it.

Snafu
02-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Just tried that approach with a JPEG file and opening into Word. No go for me. Nice try though.

Hawk
02-24-2005, 03:03 PM
The Full Acrobat is the only way to go.....

pointreyes
02-24-2005, 03:11 PM

Which is what I said on post #2. This thread has done the full circle. :D

Hawk
02-24-2005, 03:46 PM

Which is what I said on post #2. This thread has done the full circle. :D

:yup: Hadda put it back on course. . . . .

sodface
02-24-2005, 04:01 PM

I don't see how the full acrobat is going to be much help if the source pdf is just images of text -- you are still down to needing OCR to get editable text.

they merely scanned the typed pages and created a .pdf that way.

I assume by this he means that the pages were scanned as images, and so the pdf document he's working with is nothing but a collection of images. Unless of course, when they created the document, they scanned the images and OCR'd them at that point, in which case the pdf document is composed of actual text, which a full version of acrobat would then be able to export to word. I don't think that is the case though because the original poster also says,
It isn't a great job scanning either. This either means that the pictures of the text aren't that great or the OCR job they did at that time introduced a significant number of typos.

Snafu
02-24-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm with Carl. Older Government documents are scanned in as images and none too clear at that.

OCR may catch some of the typing but I suspect it would be faster to retype as it will come up with all kinds of errors.

If he does not need it typed then just select the page and paste as an image into Word. It's not clean. It will not be easy for 200 pages. But it will get the document into a Word doc.

sodface
02-24-2005, 05:14 PM
If he does not need it typed then just select the page and paste as an image into Word. It's not clean. It will not be easy for 200 pages. But it will get the document into a Word doc.

It would also be free. A full acrobat version may give you the ability to export all the pics in a single click but you'll pay for the privilege.