PDA

View Full Version : Alternative software - firewalls, AV, etc.

Snafu
01-09-2005, 08:23 AM
I know there are a few good alternatives out there for OS, internet browsing and anti-spyware. Linux, Firefox, Spybot and Adaware come to mind.

What about firewalls and anti-virus programs? I am looking for a friend who has had some spyware and possibly virus problems. He asked me to go in a clean house. SInce he does not have a lot of cash to buy a firewall or NAV I am hoping to use some free alternatives from the net.

So, what would you consider to be a good free firewall and antivirus programs that are updated regularly?

Thanks

sodface
01-09-2005, 08:33 AM
How about the free version of AVG (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1) for antivirus?

For firewall he could use the firewall included with SP2 or the free version of ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/comparison.jsp?lid=ho_za)

Or, if he's using broadband, he should be able to buy an older or refurbished basic router that has an SPI type firewall for less than most software products.

For CD/DVD creation have you checked out the free cdBurnerXp? (http://www.cdburnerxp.se/) - I've installed it but haven't tried it yet. I've read a lot of rave reviews about it.

Snafu
01-09-2005, 08:59 AM

I have to check to see if he even has SP1 :lol: . I have both on disk from MS so that should not be a problem. I should make a slipstream disk.

I think I have Zonealarm somewhere around here on disk too. May need to be updated but saves on downloading the program.

I didn't ask earlier but what about something to scan the registry for useless entries? Norton System works use to allow this (some of it) but wouldn't let you remove some duplicate entries (back-up?).

Funny thing is it all started with some unwanted information popping up while he or his wife was surfing the net. Some very interesting things and his wife questionned what he was surfing for :lol: . Then there was an internet call to some overseas place with a huge bill. So now they have basically given up on thier system and I offered to help them clean it up and set up some protection.

I want to charge them a small fee for doing this - namely another machine for F@H ;)

BB_One
01-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Given the possible task of SP1 + SP2 updating + need to clean the registry to find the culprit dialer activator. Given that no registry cleaner that I know off does a 100% clean up job.

Would it not make sense and be easier and much safer to perform a full reformat and reinstall on such a compromised pc?

Food for thoughts.

Snafu
01-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Great minds think alike ;)

I was thinking of a registry cleaner for later after the clean up and they use it for a while.

Plant to back-up the registry after the clean install so there is a good point I could get back to if needed.

Cheers

2nd time trying to post this - something must be up with teh server

BB_One
01-09-2005, 11:01 AM
joeMan posted in the past a registry cleaner softy search on the forum for the sake of me I can't recall the name.

I do have 2 more but they are not freebees to my knowledge, well not sort of freebees if u see what I mean....however u know where to reach me for more info ...hum!

Paragon
01-09-2005, 03:02 PM
The two best and least problematic AV programs are either: NOD32 (which I use) or Kaspersky:wave:

Snafu
05-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Thread revival :lol:

Looking for a driver cleaner that will clean out the registry and hard drives. I am planning to replace an old Audigy sound card with a nwer edition but want the driver and other associated programs with the old card to be cleaned out before installing teh new card.

Thanks

sodface
05-24-2005, 01:05 PM
There's a good DOS based one:

"format c:"

:na:

Snafu
05-24-2005, 01:12 PM
:p

Might as well do a clean reinstall of the OS :rolleyes: :lol: