PDA

View Full Version : Creating a web site

Android Vageta
10-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Hey, a friend of my moms owns a remodeling business and wants a web site. I really know nothing about making websites, but he offered $200 and considering that Im in desperate need of a new PC I took the offer. What I need help with is information on how to create a basic website (he wants a site on his business, doesnt need to be complicating or too fancy) such as tutorials and/or programs. He doesnt need it right away, so Id have a few weeks to work on it. Any help would me...helpful :rock:

Snafu
10-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Well two immediate possibilities: the long hard way is to learn code and create the page. Quick and dirty is to create a fairly basic webpage using Front Page (I think it comes with XP or the basic MS office - can't remember how I got mine installed on the old rig).
What ever program you use make sure the host supports this format. In fact it is probably best to go visit the site that will host the page and see if they recommend a particular program or even provide one.

Android Vageta
10-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Yeah, Ive heard to either go with Front Page or Dreamweaver. Well, Ill look into it more. THX!

Paragon
10-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Android Vageta :wave:

Well my friend you may have taken on a rather massive project here given your self professed level of experience, there's a couple of things you need to take into consideration:

1) What type web environment will you be working in, Linux or Windows?

2) If you choose to use Snafu's second suggestion Front Page then you will need to make sure the web host supports Front Page extensions. Also you have to buy Front Page which would eat up the vast majority of that $200, if not all of it.

3) There are better and simpler packages out there to build a simple web site with than Front Page, and many web hosts supply them free of charge to their clients.

4) If they are going to conduct sales (shopping cart) on line you need to also have the proper software (in many cases supplied by the web host) to support it.

5) Finally, if you build it you have to support it; are you prepared to do that?

Just wanted to give you a few more things to think about before you accept this as a project :wave:

dbwillis
10-09-2004, 07:28 PM
is hosting the site included in that $200?

Android Vageta
10-09-2004, 08:11 PM
No no no...Im being paid $200 for making the site. Everything else is on a seperate budget. Front Page I have, I own a copy of Office 2003 Pro. Ill be working in a Windows enviroment considering I know Windows. And I was looking into some pre-made shells and designs, but the man Im making the site for is a good friend, and I have some friends willing to help as far as design and Photoshop skillz. As far as support goes, it will be a fairly simple site with a few pics here and there, nothing to really maintain.