PDA

View Full Version : X800XT DDR RAM Heatsink question...help please...

joeMan
08-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Hey folks, how would you all recommend I affix heatsinks to my X800XT GDDR3 RAM chips? I have the heatsinks selected, but I don't know what to use to get them to stick to the chips while also conducting heat in an effective manner.

I have heard good things about Arctic Silver Ceramique - I know it has good conductive qualities, but I want to make sure the stuff will actually hold the heatsinks to the chips as well.

Do you guys dig this stuff, or have any other suggestions that will help...?

Thanks.

RotorHead
08-19-2004, 07:59 PM
You can use the arctic thermal adhesive; it should work great for what you want to do. :thumb:

Linky http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

Snafu
08-20-2004, 06:33 AM
Any success in removing the heat sinks after the adhesive is cured? The site notes that this is a permanent adhesive and components "...will stay attached forever." It does note that the bond is weaker below 0C so maybe it is possible to remove the heat sinks very carefully after placing the card in the freezer?

I only ask because some folks have an aversion to permanently gluing heat sinks to thier card. IMO I have no fear of doing this to my old 9600XT as it will likely be replaced before I decide to change heat sinks.

joeMan
08-20-2004, 10:02 PM
RotorHead and Snafu, I am honored to have you both respond to my request for help. Thank you. And yes Snafu, the warning of permanent adhesion does concern me! LoL.

Hmmm...well - I am going to experiment I think with the AS Ceramique http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm to see if it has the adhesive qualities I am looking for. I have read in other threads on the BE that it does adhere, but will come undone with a careful twist and pull. Hopefully it will have enough adhesion to keep all 8 of those little buggers on my card - not so worried about the top side of course (in my vertical case) as gravity will take care of those, but on the bottom four...heh heh...well - we shall see...going to be fun. :chit:

RotorHead
08-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Iíve also seen people use superglue.

They just put on their favorite thermal compound, leaving a small area in the corners uncovered, then put a small amount of superglue on the corners.

Snafu
08-21-2004, 06:01 AM
As you say gravity will hold the top ones in place but gravity may pull the bottoms ones off. They may fall onto the PCI card below and might short something out. :irk: . I only mention this 'cause I hear that with ceramique there is not a problem removing a heat sink if it is used.

What about the adhesive tape that comes with some of the ram heat sinks?

joeMan
08-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Whoooweee Rotorhead :yikes: !! Check you out with the SuperGlue...cool.

Yes, I have used that adhesive tape when I heatsinked my southbridge chip on my old Gigabyte GA-7VAXP, it is very sticky - would definately work. However, I question it's conductivity qualities as Arctic Silver products are so righteous :thumbs: with respect to heat transference.

LostInSpace278
08-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Ceramique doesn't have an adhesion quaility, it more like a weak suction effect.

chefnr1
10-12-2004, 03:50 AM
That with the thermal adhesive use just that it's allmost impossibly to remove!
but if you take 1 part of each in the tube of thermal adhesive and put as much as5 as the tehrmal adhesive and mix it together it will bee like hard rubber and it's easyer to remove the stuff you glued on! i've done this with ocz vga hsf and i test to removed them afer a week and it goes of and no damage, i also do it with my water block on southbridge and northbridge and the same there no damage when i will remove them. :thumbs:

joeMan
10-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Good advice. Thanks chefnr1.

death metal
10-21-2004, 07:35 PM
what i did was use a very thin lining of double sided tape. then i added some thermal compound in the middle portion. just ensure you spread it thinly and the double-sided tape should hold out nicely on the sides...not sure how will they perform after extended heat barrage though...

ReDoCeD
11-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Artic silver adhesive would be the wrong choice :rolleyes: Good way to kill your card ;) The one you want is Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive LINK (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm) If you want some real heatsinks that you can remove you can get them HERE (http://www.imageevent.com/marginjohn/viperjohn) These are good cause for what ever reason you can remove them, using epoxy you can not,hope this helps ya :)

Android Vageta
12-18-2004, 07:00 AM
http://photos.imageevent.com/marginjohn/viperjohn/websize/1_9700%20Pro%20Turbo%20Cooler%20option%203.jpg

Anyone know what heatsinks are used on that? I have a 9700Pro and Im very interested in overclocking and would like to know if anyone knew what is used in that pic.

joeMan
12-18-2004, 10:52 AM
I don't recognize those in the picture, but their shape looks a lot like your standard after market RAM heatsinks. I have some anodized blue ones that zalman makes, I got them at Fry's. They are about that long and that wide, just not as tall. One of them would cover two GPU RAM chips - so two for each side would have you dialed.

Then again, those could be a CPU heatsink that he modded with a band saw, then cleaned up real good. Judging by the looks of that radical setup they're probably lapped to a mirror finish as well.

evilangel
12-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Ok if you want a non permanent solution make up a mix of AS5 and Arctic thermal adhesive (50% artic siver5:50%Arctic adhesive) when you need to remove the ram sinks give them a gentle tap and the ramsinks will drop off i had this recommended to me by danger den when i emailed them concerning my northbridge waterblock and mobo i was going to install the water cooling on (mobo has two clip loops and NB block has four mounting clips) until i had decided to change the mobo to a better one.

SIK_L_CELL
12-23-2004, 03:46 PM
You can use the arctic thermal adhesive; it should work great for what you want to do. :thumb:

Linky http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

Do not use the adhesive. I am kicking myself in the ass for gluing these puny ramsinks on! :deviltail