PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up Virus & Spyware Definitions

smack01
07-05-2004, 03:38 AM
Iam just about to do a format but i dont want to loose all my downloaded definitions for Norton AntiVirus and Adaware.

Is it possible to backup the definitions some how?

Ive looked in the Adaware installation folder and found two files called REFLIST.REF and REFLIST.REF.OLD the files are 1,252KB and 1,245KB respectively. Is this the file that contains all the spyware definitions???? Cause iam guessing the .REF files is the file containing the latest definitions plus all the old ones and the .REF.OLD file contains all the old definitions previous to the latest definitions update.

Can anyone help me out here? Got no idea about Nortan Anti Virus or the Norton System works updates either since i run a big Norton package.

Cheers,
Smack01

PCBruiser
07-05-2004, 05:53 AM
I don't think you can backup the program. There are updates to both the definitions and the software, and if you install from your original copy, you will still need to go through all those Live Updates anyway even if you are able to save the definitions, because all the software needs updates as well. Given the way Norton works, if you have all the new definitions and the old software, it may very well bomb on you anyway, and uninstalling that is a bear. So, given the choice, I think you will have to start from scratch anyway, and you are better off doing that clean with your original installer.

Snafu
07-05-2004, 06:01 AM
What about backing up the drive and reinstalling after the format or backing up specific programs adn reinstalling these? :scratch: Would the back-up feature in Norton System Works work? :scratch:

Just a thought as I can't say that I have tried this as I have not had to refromat my drives. Although I do have Acronis True Image coming to back-up my raid in teh near future.

smack01
07-05-2004, 05:18 PM
What about backing up the drive and reinstalling after the format or backing up specific programs adn reinstalling these? :scratch: Would the back-up feature in Norton System Works work? :scratch:

Just a thought as I can't say that I have tried this as I have not had to refromat my drives. Although I do have Acronis True Image coming to back-up my raid in teh near future.

Reason why i cant just backup the drive is because iam installing a new motherboard and that is the reason for my need to format. If i backed up the drive then just flashed it back it would still contain all my old motherboard related drivers which would cause a problem.

Ahh well looks like i may have to just start from scratch with nortons but i will backup those 2 Adaware files and see of they work after the clean install.

Cheers,
Smack01