PDA

View Full Version : Router Issues

BetaExcel
03-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Ok, so i bought a new desktop computer today.
It's all good....apart from i can't find any way to add my MAC (or physical address)
to a designated area.

I have a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router.
I don't think that my desktop is wireless enabled, so just on te safe side,
we have hardwired my desktop to the back of the D-Link router. (In port 1)

However nothing has happened so far.
My cousin gave us some basic instructions as to add the MAC address first which would in turn give us an IP address.

So, any help given would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

sodface
03-24-2007, 04:57 PM
MAC address lists are normally something you have to turn on... ie not enabled by default. Did you turn this feature on? MAC address lists are a "security" feature - if your MAC is not in the list, then you won't pull an IP address, but you don't have to have this feature on to have your router assign IP addresses (DHCP). DHCP does need to be enabled however, if you have your computer setup to obtain an IP automatically.

I would suggest you restore the router to defaults and start over. Make sure you can pull an address and get online, and then start enabling security features one at a time, checking connectivity after each change.

BetaExcel
03-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Well the router has 4 lights on the front to show how many computers are connected to it.

It would seem that the router isn't even recognising that it my computer is connected.
I guess that my lead might be defective, but it worked with my other modem earlier so it can't be that.

I'll get my cousin to come up tomorrow to see if he can help me a little.
I have absolutely no clue on what to do lol
My folks would KO me if i did anything to stop their net connection :/

anyway, thanks for the help and i'll suggest it to my cousin tomorrow :)
Thank you.

DaveT
03-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Well the router has 4 lights on the front to show how many computers are connected to it.

It would seem that the router isn't even recognising that it my computer is connected.
I guess that my lead might be defective, but it worked with my other modem earlier so it can't be that.

I'll get my cousin to come up tomorrow to see if he can help me a little.
I have absolutely no clue on what to do lol
My folks would KO me if i did anything to stop their net connection :/

anyway, thanks for the help and i'll suggest it to my cousin tomorrow :)
Thank you.

THose lights are most likely for the ethernet ports and not the wireless.