PDA

View Full Version : Memory brand for Intel D865GLCLK ?

KingTermite
05-19-2004, 02:21 PM
For those that don't know ( I was posting it on ABXZone ), I've been helping a friend with her computer. She pretty much fried it by running it for months with a bad power supply. I've replaced the power supply, but the memory and motherboard are toast too.

I'm going to go with the Intel D865GLCLK motherboard.

What memory brand?

When I built my computer a few years ago, all the memory talk was "true samsung", but I haven't heard much about that lately. It seems the last year I've mostly heard "Crucial", "OCZ" and "Mushkin". What are your thoughts on brand names.

Please don't just automatically say "OCZ" because they are sponsors....what are your true thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Paragon
05-19-2004, 02:33 PM
You could run anything in this board from Crucial to HyperX value Ram and it would run fine; the main thing is to get some that works well in the 2.5-2.6 volt range...I've had a good bit of experience with the big brother of this board and cheap RAM works just about as good as anything...they do not have adjustable VDIMM so that's an issue...

Here's (http://www.cmtlabs.com/mbSearchResults.asp?sManuf=Intel&sMN=D865GLC%2FD865GBF%2FD865GRH&oSubmit=Search) a list of tested RAM for that board...I've read many posts of the Buffalo Memory working extremely well with it and it's reasonably inexpensive.

pointreyes
05-19-2004, 02:38 PM
KT, when do you need this board?

I have a refurb that I need to send back to newegg. If newegg should happen to send back to me a new board, then I would have a board to sell because I would then have two boards. Crucial works great on mine (the full retail one and it even worked on the refurb, there's just a problem with using a video card on it).

malinois1
05-19-2004, 02:44 PM
For those that don't know ( I was posting it on ABXZone ), I've been helping a friend with her computer. She pretty much fried it by running it for months with a bad power supply. I've replaced the power supply, but the memory and motherboard are toast too.

I'm going to go with the Intel D865GLCLK motherboard.

What memory brand?

When I built my computer a few years ago, all the memory talk was "true samsung", but I haven't heard much about that lately. It seems the last year I've mostly heard "Crucial", "OCZ" and "Mushkin". What are your thoughts on brand names.

Please don't just automatically say "OCZ" because they are sponsors....what are your true thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Well I dont know what you expect coming to an OCZ board but I have to say OCZ is the best and know I dont work for or am affiliated with OCZ in any way. 1. They have a great product. 2. They have great support (just look at the forums and you will see the great support) 3. Their price is competitive if you compare apples to apples. For the computer you are refrencing 3200eb would work well for you if you want low latency. 3200 premier series would also work if you just want regular vanilla Ram. The choice is yours!! ;)

Paragon
05-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Well I dont know what you expect coming to an OCZ board but I have to say OCZ is the best and know I dont work for or am affiliated with OCZ in any way. 1. They have a great product. 2. They have great support (just look at the forums and you will see the great support) 3. Their price is competitive if you compare apples to apples. For the computer you are refrencing 3200eb would work well for you if you want low latency. 3200 premier series would also work if you just want regular vanilla Ram. The choice is yours!! ;)

Your exactly right about the quality of OCZ RAM my friend, it is truly some of the best high performance RAM available.

The issue with this and most Intel manufactured boards without adjustable VDimm is that the the VDimm tends to be in the 2.45-2.55volt range which is not well suited for your higher performance RAM like OCZ.

Intel manufactured boards up until recent revisions of the D875PBZLK all had static VDimm...these newer boards work very well with OCZ high performance RAM.

KingTermite
05-19-2004, 05:50 PM
KT, when do you need this board?

I have a refurb that I need to send back to newegg. If newegg should happen to send back to me a new board, then I would have a board to sell because I would then have two boards. Crucial works great on mine (the full retail one and it even worked on the refurb, there's just a problem with using a video card on it).

She's really itching to get her computer back....so I don't think she'd want to wait much. Otherwise, I think it would be a great idea.

What about the video card? It has onboard video.

KingTermite
05-19-2004, 05:53 PM
What I expect are honest opinions.

This is not an OCZ board....it's a hardcore computing board which is now sponsored by OCZ. I've known most of these guys (the "regulars") for a while so trust that they would give me an honest opinion of I asked. So I asked.

I wasn't trying to "diss" OCZ memory....I just wanted honest opinions, especially if anyone had direct experience with that board.

sodface
05-19-2004, 06:00 PM
This is not an OCZ board....it's a hardcore computing board which is now sponsored by OCZ.

Well said KT. :thumb:

pointreyes
05-20-2004, 06:01 AM
What about the video card? It has onboard video.

I didn't use the onboard video due to using Solaris I wanted to use my old Matrox G450. I had to reboot the 'puter for the OS to work with the video card. Could not get 98se to work with the video card. Windows 2000 Advanced Server never had a problem. Ordered a new board and all those problems went away.

KingTermite
05-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Well.....ok guys...for the record I told her to order this (Crucial) memory.

Memory ($106)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-541&depa=0

pointreyes
05-20-2004, 08:49 AM
I would have ordered two sticks of 256. The board is a dual DDR board; however for this girl it probably does not matter. :p

Here's what I use in mine: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-542&depa=0
x 2 that is. :)