PDA

View Full Version : Abit AW9D-MAX: Interesting Finding

shimmishim
11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
i HATE this board and i love it at the same time.

it's fast but fickle...

One of the biggest complaints about this board is its inability to run orthos blend test above the 400 FSB mark.

So today, I've decided to play with this board as much as I possibly could.

I flashed to beta 13 b03 bios and let her have it.

Someone said that the memsettings have a big influence on this board... and after messing with memset 3.0, i've determined this to be very true.

RMS default is 7.8us. When I tried running orthos, it'd error out somewhere between 3 minutes 53 seconds and 4 minutes 10 seconds almost EVERY time.

so i adjusted the RMS to 64clk and was able to get 5+ minutes. a good start in my book.

then i tried messing with the tRFC timings. the default i set was 35.

what I found was that this setting has a HUGE influence on the stability of this board running orthos.

Going from 35 to 63 (which is the max for memset), I was able to go from 9 minutes stable to 15+ minutes stable.

Also, I've found that changing the REad to Precharge (tRTP) from 4 to 6 actually DECREASES Trc.

default value is 4.
http://www.johnshim.com/forums/bleedinedge/aw9dmax/default%20memset.jpg

if you change it to 5, it will change Trc to 4.
http://www.johnshim.com/forums/bleedinedge/aw9dmax/tRTP5.jpg

if you change it to 6, it will change Trc to 8.
http://www.johnshim.com/forums/bleedinedge/aw9dmax/tRTP6.jpg

Also, you'll find that through MemSet 3.0, the max tRAS you can set is 15 (assuming you boot up with something under 15).

HOWEVER, if you boot up with a tRAS of 15+ (in my case, i did 18), when you open memset, you will see tRAS show res. (2).

what's interesting is that tRAS now increases +1 going to res. (3) then +1 more going to 4.
http://www.johnshim.com/forums/bleedinedge/aw9dmax/tRASres3.jpg

now 4
http://www.johnshim.com/forums/bleedinedge/aw9dmax/tRAS4.jpg

now 15
http://www.johnshim.com/forums/bleedinedge/aw9dmax/tRAS15.jpg

I'm not quite sure what this all means but this has been an interesting adventure so far.

shimmishim
11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
oh, and if this is all common knowledge stuff, then excuse this post and ignore :)

Forsaken1
11-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks,have to give it a try.Consedering a mobo mod or two.:beat:

DaveT
11-28-2006, 04:40 PM
hmm if I ever get this e6600 to like over 3.2 this would be interesting to play with my AW9

shimmishim
11-28-2006, 04:43 PM
i can boot 420... have to clockgen up from there.

it's a frustrating board.

wish i could get trfc greater than 63. i heard the new asus p5n32e-sli allows up to 147-ish lol.

boshuter
11-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Booting at 420fsb is pretty damn good for an E6700 ;) How high can you clockgen it? On H2O?

Without the mods on my DFI, 420fsb is about as high as I can boot reliably. I'm hoping the mods will help with that.

shimmishim
11-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Booting at 420fsb is pretty damn good for an E6700 ;) How high can you clockgen it? On H2O?

Without the mods on my DFI, 420fsb is about as high as I can boot reliably. I'm hoping the mods will help with that.

yes i'm on h2O... i clockgen'ed up to 425 and then tried running orthos and it rebooted.

but the max of my chip is somewhere near 3.75 to 3.8 ghz so 9 x 425 is over the limit of my chip.

i'll try dropping down to 8x and see how high i can boot.

boshuter
11-28-2006, 06:40 PM
yes i'm on h2O... i clockgen'ed up to 425 and then tried running orthos and it rebooted.

but the max of my chip is somewhere near 3.75 to 3.8 ghz so 9 x 425 is over the limit of my chip.

i'll try dropping down to 8x and see how high i can boot.

Oh man.... my bad.... I thought you were doing this on a 10 multi :yikes: Does your board have unlocked multi's, or are you running a different cpu? I can't change multi's on the DFI, even with the ES cpu :| Of course I don't think I'd want to go down with it anyway, being able to go to a higher multi would sure be nice though;)

shimmishim
11-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh man.... my bad.... I thought you were doing this on a 10 multi :yikes: Does your board have unlocked multi's, or are you running a different cpu? I can't change multi's on the DFI, even with the ES cpu :| Of course I don't think I'd want to go down with it anyway, being able to go to a higher multi would sure be nice though;)

yeah the abit aw9d-max allows for up and down with the x6800

and works down from default to 6x for other models

i'm gonna try for 9 x 420 stable. that is my goal.

if i can't, then i'll go for 10 x 380. i've been getting BSOD at 380 so i think with the knowledge i have now with memset i should be able to do 380 :)

boshuter
11-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Well I was all screwed up :o I thought you were running the 6700 in your sig. Does that board allow multis with anything but the 6800? The DFI only has unlocked multi with that cpu (6800).

DaveT
11-28-2006, 06:58 PM
I cant even get to 367fsb stable with my board with 2v to the northbridge:suspect: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat:

DaveT
11-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Where did you get the beta bios?
edit

Looks like my board hates 1:1 for the mem, I tried booting @ 3.2 1:1 and was going to clockgen up from there should boot no problem right? WRONG go back into bios and leave everything the same but change the ram to 4:5 and it boots fine....WTF is that?:coocoo:

shimmishim
11-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Well I was all screwed up :o I thought you were running the 6700 in your sig. Does that board allow multis with anything but the 6800? The DFI only has unlocked multi with that cpu (6800).

i AM using the 6700ES from my sig.

It allows mults from 6x to 10x :)

the x6800 goes from 6x to 31x if i remember correctly.

shimmishim
11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
I cant even get to 367fsb stable with my board with 2v to the northbridge:suspect: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat:

are you using stock cooling for the NB?

2.0 might be a bit excessive.

also 2.0 = 1.89 real. there's a pretty big droop.

mod gives you like .03 volt droop. :) so 2.0 = 1.97 but the NB gets toasty!

also do you think there might be a spd issue with the ocz sticks you have?

i have no problems 1:1 or 4:5.

the problem is being able to gain stability for more than 18 minutes!

it's been a long day but i've gone from 4:10 to 18+ minutes :)

i might be a little greedy trying for 420. i should try 400 to see how long i can get it to go for.

but for tonight as i go to bed, i am leaving it at 10 x 380 with some memset tweaks. we'll see if she's still runnin' in the morning.

i think the key to this board is vmch voltage and vfsb voltage.

vmch voltage at 2.0 and vfsb of 1.54 allowed me to boot at 8 x 425! :)

i got all the way up to 440 with clockgen and was able to run superpi 1M.

i'll do more testing again either tomorrow/thursday/friday/this weekend depending when i have time!

shimmishim
11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Where did you get the beta bios?
edit

Looks like my board hates 1:1 for the mem, I tried booting @ 3.2 1:1 and was going to clockgen up from there should boot no problem right? WRONG go back into bios and leave everything the same but change the ram to 4:5 and it boots fine....WTF is that?:coocoo:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showpost.php?p=782517&postcount=161

try messing with mem settings.

change your trfc from 28 or 35 to something higher like 42 and trying to see if that works.

but also look into talking to tony about your problems. the board shouldn't have problems with 1:1. can you get your hands on another set of memory?

RyderOCZ
11-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Well I was all screwed up :o I thought you were running the 6700 in your sig. Does that board allow multis with anything but the 6800? The DFI only has unlocked multi with that cpu (6800). The 965 and some of the 975 boards allow downward multi's on all C2D CPU's

E6300 = 6 and 7 (default)

E6400 = 6,7, and 8 (default)

E6600 = 6,7,8, and 9 (default)

E6700 = 6,7,8,9 and 10 (default)

P5W, P5B, DS3, AW9-D all allow multi changing....not sure what is up with the DFI yet.

DaveT
11-28-2006, 08:24 PM
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showpost.php?p=782517&postcount=161

try messing with mem settings.

change your trfc from 28 or 35 to something higher like 42 and trying to see if that works.

but also look into talking to tony about your problems. the board shouldn't have problems with 1:1. can you get your hands on another set of memory?

well I just messed with the timmings and finally got to 1:1 and am now running 3dmark01 @405x9:thumbs: :rock:

jphillips
11-28-2006, 08:33 PM
shimmishim - "i HATE this board and i love it at the same time."

The Love/Hate relationship thing has got me spinning as well!!! :beat:

Although I just figured out one of the problems that I've had with the Guru.sys driver for the micro-processor!!! It's was one of two things - incompatibility with some of the other monitoring software I use, or the Intel chipset drivers...I had upgraded from the Abit drivers to the 8.1.1.1001 and things got better although I still was having issues and after seeing Just Learnin's post he did on the 14th...(okay it may take me awhile...:o ) I upgraded to the latest version - removed the SPTD layer and no more issues....put the SPTD layer back in and it works just fine now...maybe an install pattern issue or something else....

Have you noticed that if you disable the second PCIe slot in the BIOS that the #1 Lan port goes with it? I don't run SLI yet, and I didn't even want power going to anywhere I wasn't going to overclock - even turning over the unused PCI clock wasn't good enough for me....I have killed any unused PCI clocks bumped up the PCI Latancy Timer Clock from 32 to 64, and with this massive Peltier inside I can safely overclock the board and run like the wind...I'm just limited by the 533 clock on the CPU! :bonk: :bonk: It's my own fault too... although right now she is sleeping and I don't really want her to hear me crying....:cry:

Although maybe in a little while....hopefully by the middle of Dec, I should be able to pick up a good CPU, and then we shall see how this thing screams...maybe by then I have memorized the BIOS like a ten key pad!

I look forward to seeing what you find out! By the way are you running a 32bit os or 64?

DaveT
11-29-2006, 01:23 AM
I dropped my multi down to 8 and have been testing for max stable FSB... just went 15+ minutes @ 420mhz, and now testing @ 425,if it passes another 15 min. pass I will up it to 430:thumb: :bow:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/buickgntuner/420.jpg?t=1164795601

DaveT
11-29-2006, 03:12 AM
So far looks to be stable @ 450x8:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: This OCZ plat rev.2 is hanging tight with 4-4-4-15 timmings @ 2.2v with 1:1:thumbs:
I can even boot up @ 430 WOOT!!!! gonna try to see if I can boot at the 450:beer:

boshuter
11-29-2006, 04:24 AM
So far looks to be stable @ 450x8:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: This OCZ plat rev.2 is hanging tight with 4-4-4-15 timmings @ 2.2v with 1:1:thumbs:
I can even boot up @ 430 WOOT!!!! gonna try to see if I can boot at the 450:beer:

Looking good so far:thumb: You should really start a thread on yours, let shim and topgun have their threads back ;)

shimmishim
11-29-2006, 04:32 AM
it's all good bo.

450 bootable would be AMAZING!!!

i got 425 to boot and i've been able to clockgen up to 440.

i'm gonna mess around with it more later this afternoon to see if i can do a straight boot from 440 :)

Dave - can you provide a memset 3.0 screenshot of that 420 run?

After seeing your results, I'm almost convinced now that it's my memory. i really need to get my hands on another pair!!!

shimmishim
11-29-2006, 04:35 AM
shimmishim - "i HATE this board and i love it at the same time."

The Love/Hate relationship thing has got me spinning as well!!! :beat:

Although I just figured out one of the problems that I've had with the Guru.sys driver for the micro-processor!!! It's was one of two things - incompatibility with some of the other monitoring software I use, or the Intel chipset drivers...I had upgraded from the Abit drivers to the 8.1.1.1001 and things got better although I still was having issues and after seeing Just Learnin's post he did on the 14th...(okay it may take me awhile...:o ) I upgraded to the latest version - removed the SPTD layer and no more issues....put the SPTD layer back in and it works just fine now...maybe an install pattern issue or something else....

Have you noticed that if you disable the second PCIe slot in the BIOS that the #1 Lan port goes with it? I don't run SLI yet, and I didn't even want power going to anywhere I wasn't going to overclock - even turning over the unused PCI clock wasn't good enough for me....I have killed any unused PCI clocks bumped up the PCI Latancy Timer Clock from 32 to 64, and with this massive Peltier inside I can safely overclock the board and run like the wind...I'm just limited by the 533 clock on the CPU! :bonk: :bonk: It's my own fault too... although right now she is sleeping and I don't really want her to hear me crying....:cry:

Although maybe in a little while....hopefully by the middle of Dec, I should be able to pick up a good CPU, and then we shall see how this thing screams...maybe by then I have memorized the BIOS like a ten key pad!

I look forward to seeing what you find out! By the way are you running a 32bit os or 64?

i HATE when software/drivers are to blame for a computer's instability... but it's good you figured it out.

i've been using windows xp pro sp2.

i think the max stability i can get at any speed greater than 420 will be superpi 1M but I'll try to do some 3dmark03, 05, 06 when i get a chance.

this board can fly... just need to find better memory i guess... ugh.

jphillips
11-29-2006, 04:45 AM
Ya, I couldn't figure out why that micro-processor would not install at all! :bonk: I actually think that it had something to do with the chipset from intel not working properly - I run XP 64....:scratch: regardless, now with it installed the OS is stable...that was an issue I had to figure out since I wasn't sure if it was my over lcoking that was killing the chipset or the micro-processor....any way I still have not updated the BIOS yet....since I worked on fixing that last night...I did take this screen though.... Not the best marks, although I can't push that proc past 167...it's just not stable enough....

I wish I could play more with this board right now...I agree it's a tough board! :beer:

DaveT
11-29-2006, 12:00 PM
it's all good bo.

450 bootable would be AMAZING!!!

i got 425 to boot and i've been able to clockgen up to 440.

i'm gonna mess around with it more later this afternoon to see if i can do a straight boot from 440 :)

Dave - can you provide a memset 3.0 screenshot of that 420 run?

After seeing your results, I'm almost convinced now that it's my memory. i really need to get my hands on another pair!!!
Heres the shot from the 440mhz I was running all night folding both cores:beer:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/buickgntuner/MemSet.jpg?t=1164833846

whoops the oter cpuz box was supposed to be mem but I forgot to click the mem tab:beat: :bonk: :hide:

shimmishim
11-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Heres the shot from the 440mhz I was running all night folding both cores:beer:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/buickgntuner/MemSet.jpg?t=1164833846

good job!

now there are a few things to note...

i decided to see what sort of effect using the 64clk RMS had on performance and...

it doesn't look good.

i gave 1M a run and setting it to 64clk slows 1M down by about 5-6 seconds!!!

it seems like there is a nice performance hit to gain such stability.

have you tried orthos blend test at 440?

the problem isn't small fft or programs like f@h... it's memory intensive programs that'll error out...

like we've seen with the dfi infinity 975x, i am pretty sure that a simple bios release could fix these memory issues we've been seeing... it's just a matter of ABIT gettin' on the ball to get us one of these new bioses we've all been longing for for over 2 months...

but i have this feeling they sort of ditched the aw9d in favor of the in9 (680i chipset)... sigh... why do i like this mobo so much :)

the exciting thing is, i've decided to buy either a new cpu, new memory, or new board... (new board would be the dfi infinity).

DaveT
11-29-2006, 12:14 PM
good job!

now there are a few things to note...

i decided to see what sort of effect using the 64clk RMS had on performance and...

it doesn't look good.

i gave 1M a run and setting it to 64clk slows 1M down by about 5-6 seconds!!!

it seems like there is a nice performance hit to gain such stability.

have you tried orthos blend test at 440?

the problem isn't small fft or programs like f@h... it's memory intensive programs that'll error out...

like we've seen with the dfi infinity 975x, i am pretty sure that a simple bios release could fix these memory issues we've been seeing... it's just a matter of ABIT gettin' on the ball to get us one of these new bioses we've all been longing for for over 2 months...

but i have this feeling they sort of ditched the aw9d in favor of the in9 (680i chipset)... sigh... why do i like this mobo so much :)

the exciting thing is, i've decided to buy either a new cpu, new memory, or new board... (new board would be the dfi infinity).

I stopped it @ 15 minutes to move on to higher fsb but here ya go
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/buickgntuner/orthos440.jpg?t=1164834711

shimmishim
11-29-2006, 12:15 PM
awesome! now what mem are you using? the one in your sig or a different one?

also, have you tried any mods yet?

DaveT
11-29-2006, 12:16 PM
awesome! now what mem are you using? the one in your sig or a different one?

also, have you tried any mods yet?

THe 2 gig OCZ Plat. Rev.2 in my sig, and this board is a virgin, no mods:deviltail

shimmishim
11-29-2006, 12:18 PM
THe 2 gig OCZ Plat. Rev.2 in my sig, and this board is a virgin, no mods:deviltail

sweet! seeing your results really make me want to try out another set of memory.

so i guess my next purchase will be a different set of memory instead! :)

DaveT
11-29-2006, 12:21 PM
sweet! seeing your results really make me want to try out another set of memory.

so i guess my next purchase will be a different set of memory instead! :)

I love this Rev.2 its a beast 1:1 with 4-4-4-15:beer: :thumbs: :rock:

shimmishim
11-29-2006, 12:23 PM
awesome!

i'm looking at getting some buffalo firestix

but unfortunately its hard to say if these are micron d9gmh or d9gkx or neither.

the part number is listed as D2C and the ddr2 micron list shows D2B :(

wish i could find out for sure....

DaveT
11-29-2006, 12:49 PM
My Rev.2 uses Promos IC's but I am happy with the performance so far:thumbs:

DaveT
11-29-2006, 04:38 PM
hey shim, I got a quick question for ya, what do you think are safe voltages to run with these C2Ds?

top game 22
11-29-2006, 04:42 PM
this may help.. ram list...
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

top game 22
11-29-2006, 04:48 PM
hey shim, I got a quick question for ya, what do you think are safe voltages to run with these C2Ds?

not sure if safe but i have gone up to 1.62volts for benches and my other e6600 was at 1.55volts. for 3.6ghz.. on water cooling. as long as temps are good....:) what is your core temp vid on you chip.

shimmishim
11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
i use 1.55 for 24/7 use and up to 1.65 for benching.

DaveT
11-29-2006, 05:04 PM
not sure if safe but i have gone up to 1.62volts for benches and my other e6600 was at 1.55volts. for 3.6ghz.. on water cooling. as long as temps are good....:) what is your core temp vid on you chip.

I am running 1.575(set in bios) @ 3710 with dual F@H running running around 50c on each core according to core temp...nto too bad for air I guess

shimmishim
11-29-2006, 06:54 PM
I think I may have figured out part of my problem.

The Crucial Ballistix PC6400 are rated 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2

I run 9 x 401 with 1.45 vcore + 2.2 vdimm.. SUCCESS!!! I got orthos blend to run for 20 minutes, something I've never done before.

So I get a little greedy, up my vcore to 1.5 + 2.3 vdimm and 9 x 413... blend errors at the usual 4 minute 30 second mark...

what the crap?

so finally i think to myself... what if i go lower... lower voltage...

vcore 1.45 + 2.1 vdimm (less than stock rated) and this is what i get at 9 x 405...

http://www.johnshim.com/forums/bleedinedge/aw9dmax/orthosblend9x405.jpg

what the figgity? i need less than stock to get blend stable???

DaveT
11-29-2006, 07:12 PM
wait why does your abit guru look different than mine? And could it be that the sticks were getting to hot at the higher voltage?

shimmishim
11-29-2006, 07:14 PM
wait why does your abit guru look different than mine? And could it be that the sticks were getting to hot at the higher voltage?

different skin :)

and that is a possibility but i have a fan blowing over them....

jphillips
11-30-2006, 04:32 AM
Well, I updated my BIOS to the 1.3-03 beta last night and it let me move beyond the 167 barrier I hadÖmoved right into 182 without a hitch!! I was sorely disappointed with 1.2 since I figured the board would take everything that I could throw at it with the CPU and Memory that was in thereÖthis board is way over classed for those itemsÖbut what can you do right?

I think that your right on target with the memory @64cl shimmishim, Iíve noticed some strange things going on with mine Ė but since I canít get any of the programs to work on x64 I canít test it! Blast it allÖ..even systools didnít want to work wellÖit installed and ran at leastÖjust didnít like to do much else Ė and the strange thing was that it even gave me a message to use the uguru.sys over the lv7.dll!! Go figure. :beat:

Take a look at these setting!! I havenít even hit the wall yetÖand Iíve just been testing for stabilityÖbut I thought Iíd let you know how I was doingÖ

shimmishim
11-30-2006, 04:53 AM
good job!

keep tweaking away. this board is difficult but once you get it to work properly, it's awesome.

i was able to get 1 hour 7 minutes of orthos blend last night. not bad compared to the fact i was only able to get 18 minutes tops before using RMS 64clk.

i used a RMS of 7.8us last night and ran it over an hour.

i dropped the fsb down to 401 and will see if it'll run here for longer than an hour.

also found with my sticks, i have to boot up with at least 1.5 vcore for 405 x9 or 405 x8 to boot up.

if blend won't run at 401, i am going to run memtest for hours on end to make sure my memory isn't faulty... but now i'm starting to have a feeling it might be.

jphillips
11-30-2006, 06:17 AM
I have a feeling that most of the sensor on my system are messed with x64 - if you notice spped fan reads a different CPU temp then Everest, and doesn't read the CPU fan at all...the only one it will read now is the video card fan!

I think the CPU max is 4000 and @ 182x20 I'm almost there!! I really don't have to worry about the heat..just the voltage!! My memory is only limited by the CPU - and like you wanting memory...I want a CPU....but Just learnin' was talking to me about Lobster yesterday.....and I think that my belly is winning out over my computer at the moment!!! I can wait for the prices to keep dropping on the C2D...or even have the new series in spring! After playing with this board since the end of september, it has been a rather strange road - although it's good to know I'm not the only one traveling!

BassJunkie
12-05-2006, 03:37 AM
Hello peeps

I found your post a couple of days ago and this helped me allot.

I will explain my findings.. As follows.

When I first got my pc i used prime95 to get my o/c I got 3710mhz 412fsb and this was 8 hours stable using small FFT.. anyway wasnít for a week or so I realized I should be using Blend test, so i did and after a minute it failed but yeh of course it would. Vcore was 1.55 mch 1.60 now i know that was to low.. vdimm 2.35.

Now for the last week Iíve been trying my hardest to get it stable past 1 hour blend, 2 nights back I decided to wack the mch to 2.0 or the real 1.87 as Iíve read and put my vcore up to 1.60 this very improved my blend times by up to 8 hours, but after 8 hours and 15 mins it failed... wasnít to happy.

Then I found this post, so i did what you have done using memset changing it to 64cl i woke up today and it was still Orthoís blend testing at 10 hours :beer: http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testfg3.jpg

I turned it off just after as I didnít want to leave it with them temps while i was at work, but i have the feeling it was going to crash sooner or later as that fix u found seemed to add about 25% to the max time :scratch: Iím going to try leave it over the weekend to see how long it will last.

the thing that does get me tho is it is 100% stable in all the games I play never had a crash but i can only assume the cpu is fixing any errors it might be having and will slow the game down? is that right in thinking that?

One last thing tho.. that fix slowed my pi times down by half a second so at 3.7 i used to get 13.7 but now its 14.2.. not really an issue but a finding.

I havenít played with any of the other settings because Iím still new really to mem messing but Iím totally willing to give it all a try in the pursuit for a max stable o/c.. I do hope abit fix this with a bios update.. donít ignore us abit and play with ur new nvidia boards :(

hopefully this wasent to much a large first post :) just had to reply and let you know where Iím am.. Oh yeh my rig is e6600 2gigs Geil 6400.. One of the lucky ones with a working set :rock: x1950xt not that u needed to know that 1. vcore 1.57 mch 1.9 vdimm 2.35

I will reply when I know more and thank for your help shimmishim m8 :fire:

shimmishim
12-05-2006, 04:16 AM
@bassjunkie

first of all... :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

and i'm glad this post could be of some use to you...

yes, i've found the same thing with superpi and how the time decreases when you change RMS to 64clk but you gain more stability with orthos blend :)

i've been trying different things to see if i can gain more stability and will give it a go again. i got a new processor and some nice supertalent 6400 d9's to mess around with on this board.

http://www.johnshim.com/forums/xtremesystems/orthossmall9x423.9hours.jpg

this is only small fft but i will keep trying to get blend stable later on...

it appears though that this board is much friendlier now with a default 9x multiplier chip as compared to a 10x chip.

i had a hard time getting 9x405 to boot with my e6700.... now with the 3060 i can get 9x420 to boot with no problems at all...

i'll do some more tweaking and report back later!

BassJunkie
12-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Thinking about it i need to do another small FFT with Orthos as i only used prime95 for that, im pritty sure it will pass all the way to the 24 hour mark.

So the blend tests failing means the memory controller is at fault? im sure it isent the ram, well i cant say im 100% sure as i need to get a floppy drive and do a mem test, reason why i say i doubt its my ram is because theres so many people with the same problem as us that it being my ram isent so likly and i hope im not wrong.

shimmishim
12-05-2006, 05:35 AM
Thinking about it i need to do another small FFT with Orthos as i only used prime95 for that, im pritty sure it will pass all the way to the 24 hour mark.

So the blend tests failing means the memory controller is at fault? im sure it isent the ram, well i cant say im 100% sure as i need to get a floppy drive and do a mem test, reason why i say i doubt its my ram is because theres so many people with the same problem as us that it being my ram isent so likly and i hope im not wrong.

no no you're right.

it is most likely the board and not the ram.

i've tried 2 sets of ram (different companies) on this board and both fail orthos blend at the same point.

yes, give memtest a run just to be absolutely sure. i'm sure you will find though that your memory is perfectly fine.

also, there has been news of a bios with 1333 strap available!!! which is great great news.

BassJunkie
12-05-2006, 06:04 AM
That is good news for sure, Iím still on 13.03 havenít gone for 04 as I didnít think it would help me in any kinda way, will wait for this new one and restart the testing :smash:

Do you think this 1333 strap will help the blend tests? The new 1333 is for the new core 2s right? Well yeh right :lol: unsure on how it will help tho, but we can only hope.

shimmishim
12-05-2006, 06:05 AM
That is good news for sure, Iím still on 13.03 havenít gone for 04 as I didnít think it would help me in any kinda way, will wait for this new one and restart the testing :smash:

Do you think this 1333 strap will help the blend tests? The new 1333 is for the new core 2s right? Well yeh right :lol: unsure on how it will help tho, but we can only hope.

it should help because it'll loosen up the NB timings a bit :)

i think we should see blend test stability soon w/o the RMS 64clk :)