PDA

View Full Version : Max Memclock?

LostInSpace278
04-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Quick question. Does max memclock hinder OCing performance?

Unregistered
04-25-2004, 06:20 PM
no, er, yes... Max Memclock usually refers to the highest clock setting of the memory, which in most cases is the synchronous mode. Otherwise, you are going to be running in asynchronous mode.

Your question is a bit cryptic, though, so maybe if you reiterate and give a bit more details on where you found it and on what system I can probably give you a much better answer without just guessing.

Jim
04-25-2004, 06:33 PM
no, er, yes... Max Memclock usually refers to the highest clock setting of the memory, which in most cases is the synchronous mode. Otherwise, you are going to be running in asynchronous mode.

Your question is a bit cryptic, though, so maybe if you reiterate and give a bit more details on where you found it and on what system I can probably give you a much better answer without just guessing.

Wow, very articulate. :bow: :) :bow:

AndyT
04-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Once again, who is that Unregistered man!

LostInSpace278
04-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Well the system is as followed:
A 64 3200+
Gigabyte K8VNXP
1 gig Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2 (2x512)/512 OCZ PC3200 EB (2x256)
9600 Pro

I found it in the bios, under advanced chipset. I really couldn't figure out what it actually does. I have changed it, rebooted and looked at CPU-z and seen no change. I am running PC3200 right now and in CPU-z it states something like for FSB:Dram its CPU/10. Not 1:1 or even 5:4, just that <------. Its just something I am not used to seeing and its throwing me off a bit.

But back to the question at hand, I had origonally thought it was stating that max memclock would keep you from overclocking your FSB.(As I am an OCing n00b) I understand now that it keeps your frequency in check, and actually helps OCing.( as far as trying its best to keep it stable.)

Now I have max memlock set at its highest option, which is 200 Mhz. Now I am wondering what kind of ratio CPU/10 is? My cpu is currently running at 200x10. Have any ideas about this?

LostInSpace278
04-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Ok ,I went back and changed the max memclock to 166 and now CPU-Z states ratio at CPU/12.what ever that means.

LostInSpace278
04-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Ok, did some quick testing. Max memclock at 200Mhz I can get 213x10 stable with Mushkin ram.( If I want more I need a mobo that supports Higher vdimm than 2.7)
With Max memclock at 166 Mhz I can get 245x10 stable. Somewhere between 245-250 My video card craps out. Even with 2.7 voltage on it. :(
Its just that my memstat composite score suffers tremendously when I do this.

I have just recieved my OCZ memory today and have been playing around with it a bit. Awesome memory. I have had to reset my bios about 10 times already though :D trying to see how tight I can get the timings :rock:

Unregistered
04-28-2004, 06:08 AM
Right, so my original assumption was correct, there have been different descriptions of this setting, starting from "memory clock by limit" ASUS to the Max Memclock..

What it really means is that the memory frequency is limited by the SPD value of the DIMM, that is, if you have a PC2700, you cannot run it at 3200, only at the specified value or else below.

If you set it to Max, you will be running at the highest SPD-rated speed and that can of course lower then overclocking potential. In most cases, though I found that it is not even the memory itself but the memory controller on the CPU that can't handle the higher overclock.

In other words, it is a yes but if you set the frequency ratio to lower you will lose performance.