PDA

View Full Version : What Tweak/Util programs do YOU use?

KingTermite
04-01-2004, 04:47 AM
I thought this was an interesting idea that somebody started over at ABX, so I'll do it here too. What I'd like to know is what are the chosen utils you guys use for your "basic core" set of software utilities (degfragger, imager, reg cleaner, anti virus, etc....)

Here are some of my main utils that I'm very happy with:
FileBack PC - Backup Software
VoptXP - Defrag Software
????? - Dumping Norton and looking for a good (non-bloated)AV software right now
TuneUp Utilities - Reg Clean and other various utils
Xteq - Main Tweak Program
TweakUI - (The MS thingy) Secondary Tweak proggy
Acronis True Image - Image Software
Acronis Partition Expert - Blows the doors off of Partition Magic

RotorHead
04-01-2004, 04:57 AM
I like both Xteq and TweakUI

hehe....when you speed up the start menu.....It makes your old PIII system look a little faster. :mischeif: :D

Paragon
04-01-2004, 06:37 AM
FileBack PC - I'll be getting this one soon
Perfect Disk 6.0 - Defrag Software
NOD32 - excellent non-bloated)AV software
TuneUp Utilities - I highly recommend this one
Xteq - Main Tweak Program (Same here)
TweakUI - Ditto
Acronis True Image - Image Software (the best for non RAID and RAID imaging
Acronis Partition Expert - I'll be getting this one soon also

pointreyes
04-01-2004, 08:28 AM
FileBack PC - backup utility
Perfect Disk 6.0 - defragging
OfficeScan - anti-virus
XTeq - tweaker
StyleXP - I like my Windows interfaces to be pretty :p
BitTorrent - peer-to-peer software I use to get my missed TV shows
Acronis True Image
Acronis Partition Expert
System Commander - boot manager
MBR-Resc - great to cleaning out the MBR and recovery of the MBR.
Drive Image 7 and 2002 - I still have one computer that demands I use 7 :irk: , 2002 for the diskettes that make for a very quick way to regain control of a runaway active partition. :rolleyes:
Partition Magic - just because I have it and sometimes find a use for it.
BootMagic - in case System Commander fails
SFU - MS Unix utility (starting to learn how to use it)
ISA - might start using for software firewall
TORA - it's a necessary utility for me (as is SQL*PLUS). ;)
WinRAR
WinZip
Nero 5

KingTermite
04-01-2004, 10:21 AM
SFU - MS Unix utility (starting to learn how to use it)
What is this one? What does it do? I'm intrigued....I'd like to know more about it. Linky?

Paragon
04-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 provides a full range of supported and fully integrated cross-platform network services geared toward enterprise customers who need interoperability between Windows and UNIX–based environments. Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 provides enterprise customers with seamless access to information stored in multiple platforms, consolidates network management across platforms, and reuses UNIX applications and scripts on Windows. Link (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/downloads/default.asp)

KingTermite
04-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Link (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/downloads/default.asp)

Oh..not what I thought....sounds kind of like Samba. Is that what it is?

pointreyes
04-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Oh..not what I thought....sounds kind of like Samba. Is that what it is?

Samba is slightly different. Samba allows for Linux file/printer sharing for Windows. SFU allows for Microsoft file/printer sharing for other OSes, plus the ability to have Windows communicate to Unix/Linux in other ways besides file sharing. SFU is more like samba and cygwin in one package. It used to cost $100 per license to use SFU but MS has made if free now.

sodface
04-01-2004, 05:15 PM
I don't use many tweaking utils but the apps that get installed after every reformat are:

Power Archiver - I prefer this to winzip and winrar, originally because it handled both rar and zip and had the built in batch extract for numerous zip files in one directory (I don't have much use for this feature anymore). I used to use an obscure norton utility called multizip which was a batch extraction util only. I can't stand the look of winrar but it's good functionally :)

WhereIsIt? - removable media cataloging tool. I can't live without it but I'm not exactly thrilled with it either. I've tried a slew of different ones and liked this one the best. I'd like a leaner meaner cataloger that is quicker and stores less info.

Prassi Primo CD - now Stomp Record Now! CD/DVD burning app that I liked, It's a bit bloated after Stomp took over it. Nero is more powerful but again, I don't like the interface.

Daemon tools - I mentioned this one in another thread - virtual cd-rom drive for mounting almost any disk image, .iso, .bin/cue, Blind Read etc.

LeechFTP
UltraEdit

I like Ulead Photoimpact for photo editing. Loads too slow for just viewing though.

Hawk
04-02-2004, 03:18 AM
I don't use too may tweak programs. I make 99% of my tweaks right in the registry. . . :smash:

Mikki
04-02-2004, 05:27 AM
So do I, I've got a list of the things I like to change and just do it after every format.

I'm a minimalist these days, I install only what it absolutely neccessary to do what I need/want to do. After installing XP, the bloated cow that it is, I uninstall darn near everything in the Windows Programs folder, and then install the few proggies I use. Utilities include:

--Agent
--UltraEdit32
--FAH Client
--Media Player
--WinRar
--UltraMon

That's about it....like I said, only what I really need...;)

The only change I make for my play machine are benchmarks, monitors and stability utilities.

:)

Paragon
04-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Power Archiver - I prefer this to winzip and winrar, originally because it handled both rar and zip and had the built in batch extract for numerous zip files in one directory (I don't have much use for this feature anymore). I used to use an obscure norton utility called multizip which was a batch extraction util only. I can't stand the look of winrar but it's good functionally :)

I totally forgot about this app, I've been using it for about the last year for most of the same reasons as sodface :thumbs:

KingTermite
04-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Utilities include:

--Agent

What is Agent?

Paragon
04-02-2004, 09:48 AM
What is Agent?

Bond...James Bond :na:

KingTermite
04-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Bond...James Bond :na:
LOL! Better not let M hear you giving out your real name. You better escape quick in Q's latest car! ;) :bow:

alphanumeric
04-05-2004, 11:40 AM
No.1 on my list is Winguides Tweak Manager, that's where I start after a clean install.
tweakui 1.33
XPantispy
Resource Hacker, to change my boot screen. (win 2k pro)
XP Icon Raider, to give me XP like icons in 2k pro.
Win Tools.net Pro
Hackman Hex editor
Tclock
Mother board monitor to put my temps in my sys tray.
Hide Outlook
WinPatrol too keep somebody else from tweaking my system.
Start Tools Bootstar, boot manager, for my multiboot setup.
Styles to tweak my XP pro install. Don't use XP much.
Don't know if it counts as tweaking but I use game drive too cheat the requirement of having to put the cd's in the drive to play them.
I also use Epson's sse utility to cheat the smart chip and refill my ink cartridges.