PDA

View Full Version : Help! How to cut a hole in my Lian Li?

boshuter
04-10-2006, 07:21 PM
I need to cut a 120mm hole in the top of my Lian Li PC65 case to mount a fan for a radiator. Can anyone tell me the best way to get a good clean, round hole without scratching up the top of the case? The top is riveted on so I really need to cut it from the top side; I figured I would put a layer of masking tape or stick on paper and mark the hole on that. I'm just not sure what tool would give me a good round hole.

Sir Golitech
04-10-2006, 07:47 PM
A 4 3/4(I think)hole saw would work good, as well as a Dremel(with a steady hand). Your idea of masking tape is a good one, it will prevent scratching. As for the top being riveted on, you could always drill them out and put screws back in.

EDIT: make sure the hole saw bit or the Dremel bits are good ones made for metal cutting(Carbide or diamond encrusted)

BB_One
04-10-2006, 07:59 PM
You can find for a resonable price what is knowned as an Adjustable Hole Cutter here is a sample picture. Check Home depot or the likes.

Middle is your center hole/point and the L shape arm at the end has a diamond or carbide bit that will rotate to cut your hole at the appropriate diameter - the L shape shaft is adjustable to the lenght you want for example in your case 60 cm .

http://www.holesaws.com.cn/products/holesaws/adjustable/pic/004.jpg

Edit : In the picture the center pole is a point - you can find them with a drill bit instead which might work better....

Sir Golitech
04-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Nice looking tool, have you tried cutting a case hole with that? I could see it taking a little more time, but the mess would be contained well.

BB_One
04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Is what I use (very similar) to cut hole for door knobs or making holes in a window - mind you door knobs now I have a different kit.

Got to go easy and take your time to let the tool bite into the metal hence make it's clean cut.....if I can punch circles in glass heck I don't see why it would not work with metal...

There is much better which consist of an entire round blade / carbide / diamond head which is adjustable and much more stable BUT it will cost you in the $100+....

Just got to go easy and be stable with tool above - idealy works best when mouted on a press drill remains level.

Sir Golitech
04-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh yeah I agree your right, it would make for a very clean cut. I think I'll have to invest it this, at least I won't hear the wifey complaining about metal shavings every where. :hide:

Snafu
04-11-2006, 03:21 AM
Whatever you get make sure it is for cutting metal. I tried a wodden hole saw because I didn't have anything else around at the time. It just made a big circle in the paint :lol:

After that I used a 1/8" drill and drilled out the circumference then a dremel/cutoff saw to remove the middle and finally a dremel/grinding disk to round the edges.

It is not perfect but it is fairly close and it is covered by the fan grill.

Maybe the local DIY store rents out holesaws?

boshuter
04-11-2006, 04:19 AM
That tool BB_One showed looks like what I'm after. I've tried the regular hole saws and they tend to make a pretty ragged cut. I'll see if I can find one of those... I'll post a pic when I get the hole cut and let you know how it came out...:thumb: I hate to try my Dremel on it, not sure how the high speed stuff will work on Aluminun, I'm afraid it would get it too hot and discolor the metal.

BB_One
04-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Just go easy if you are not mounting it on a press drill ....the tool will have a tendancy to tip right or left as you try to keep it level - easy and level does the trick - try to get one that has a drillbit in the middle it will help keep the entire widget level and will not slip.

shimmishim
04-13-2006, 01:31 PM
great discussion!

i am planning on cutting a 120mm hole in the top of my antec p180 that i am receiving soon (i know there is already one but i have a dual rad).

this is what i found.

http://www.directron.com/t019.html

it's a holesaw for about $30.

you need an arbor for it but they are about $10 from what i've seen.

i was going to go to my home depot / lowes before i start on this project to see if they have holesaws (bimetal is what you want) and an arbor.

And then I guess it's time to use my trusty dremel to smooth out the rough spots.

TopHat
04-13-2006, 05:02 PM
I personally would rather save myself the embarassment of doing that and just buy a top panel with a 92/120mm hole pre cut :)

Anything which makes loud noises and spins fast in my hands is asking for trouble...

Subsider
04-13-2006, 05:10 PM
great discussion!

i am planning on cutting a 120mm hole in the top of my antec p180 that i am receiving soon (i know there is already one but i have a dual rad).

this is what i found.

http://www.directron.com/t019.html

it's a holesaw for about $30.

you need an arbor for it but they are about $10 from what i've seen.

i was going to go to my home depot / lowes before i start on this project to see if they have holesaws (bimetal is what you want) and an arbor.

And then I guess it's time to use my trusty dremel to smooth out the rough spots.
this is how i have always done it ! works fine just take you time and let the tool do the work .. im getting ready to do some modding to a lian li v2000b aluminum case should be interesting to say the least as i havent atempted to cut holes in aluminum before ! hopefully ill have some pics in a few wks .

I personally would rather save myself the embarassment of doing that and just buy a top panel with a 92/120mm hole pre cut
Anything which makes loud noises and spins fast in my hands is asking for trouble...
thats no fun ! doin your on mods is have the fun . just take your time and fully think out the prosses of what you want to do . you can do it ! have faith :D

TopHat
04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Oh I have taken and done the mod on this current case and it's something I would hide from showing my own mother lol

shimmishim
04-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Oh I have taken and done the mod on this current case and it's something I would hide from showing my own mother lol

hehehe.

yeah i've done some pretty bad mods too but this time i'm going to be very careful.

and i already have a 120mm hole (or i should say the p180 already has a hole) but i need another one since i have a dual rad.

TopHat
04-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Why not get a custome made (or make yourself lol) side panel with a matching 120mm panel and put a rad on that? Or get a spare 120mm fan :)

Much like this side panel.

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/cases/aerocool/AeroEngineII/Images/pc-open.jpg

I'm guessing that the block on the side panel is a rad, I dont know much about watercooling. Either way, it's something I was looking into for better cooling...

RotorHead
04-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Shim......

Something that I have seen people do when using a hole saw.........is to place some wood to act as a backing. this will help prevent deforming of the metal when you start drilling and gives a more solid area to work with.

Ive even seen some folks pre-drill the fan mount holes and use wood screws to hold the wood in place before drilling the actual fan hole.

Hope I didn't confuse you with that.....:scratch:

boshuter
04-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Well I ended up going a different route..:) I got a hold of a 120mm metal hole saw (not the one BB_One showed though) and tried it on a thin piece of sheet metal..... the results didn't please me at all, the saw tends to wander a little and I ended up with an almost oval hole with a terrible edge :( I finally got a very fine tooth blade for a jig saw and tried that... I first covered the area with masking tape to prevent scratches; you should practice it on any piece of thin metal first to get the hang of how fast to cut and to get used to keeping the saw constantly turning (this is the hardest part, you tend to go straight for a little bit then turn again ;) ) I ended up getting a very nice hole, there were a couple of very small parts that needed touching up, I used my dremel tool with a grinding wheel for that. It may not be perfect... but it satisfied me and I'm pretty picky about how my pc looks :thumbs:

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/5194/lianli33pb.jpg For some reason the hole looks terrible in this pic :eek: I guess it's the flash and shadows, the hole looks much better that the pic shows.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9617/lianli15ue.jpg

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2203/lianli25tl.jpg

RotorHead
04-13-2006, 08:54 PM
That looks pretty good :thumb:

You can get some black rubber trim molding to go around the edge of the hole......it will clean it up pretty good.

flexkill
04-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Nice Bo:yup: :beer:

shimmishim
04-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey Shim......

Something that I have seen people do when using a hole saw.........is to place some wood to act as a backing. this will help prevent deforming of the metal when you start drilling and gives a more solid area to work with.

Ive even seen some folks pre-drill the fan mount holes and use wood screws to hold the wood in place before drilling the actual fan hole.

Hope I didn't confuse you with that.....:scratch:

that makes complete sense!

i'll have to give that a try!

shimmishim
04-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Well I ended up going a different route..:) I got a hold of a 120mm metal hole saw (not the one BB_One showed though) and tried it on a thin piece of sheet metal..... the results didn't please me at all, the saw tends to wander a little and I ended up with an almost oval hole with a terrible edge :( I finally got a very fine tooth blade for a jig saw and tried that... I first covered the area with masking tape to prevent scratches; you should practice it on any piece of thin metal first to get the hang of how fast to cut and to get used to keeping the saw constantly turning (this is the hardest part, you tend to go straight for a little bit then turn again ;) ) I ended up getting a very nice hole, there were a couple of very small parts that needed touching up, I used my dremel tool with a grinding wheel for that. It may not be perfect... but it satisfied me and I'm pretty picky about how my pc looks :thumbs:

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/5194/lianli33pb.jpg For some reason the hole looks terrible in this pic :eek: I guess it's the flash and shadows, the hole looks much better that the pic shows.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9617/lianli15ue.jpg

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2203/lianli25tl.jpg

am i blind? am i missing the hole?

boshuter
04-14-2006, 05:28 AM
am i blind? am i missing the hole?

LOL... it's the first pic ;)

Rukee
04-14-2006, 05:50 AM
nice work, looks clean and as near perfect as you could get from here! :)

shimmishim
04-14-2006, 06:51 AM
LOL... it's the first pic ;)

ahhh!!!

for some reason when i posted, the only picture showing was the 2nd one!!!!

:)

now i see it and it's a beautiful hole (if a hole can be such a thing).

Subsider
04-14-2006, 02:32 PM
ahhh!!!

for some reason when i posted, the only picture showing was the 2nd one!!!!

now i see it and it's a beautiful hole (if a hole can be such a thing).

ooooo most definitly :thumb: :hide:

BB_One
04-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Darn very nice and well done - congrats buddy turned out as if manufactured that way..hey got the job done what ever tool was used!