PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Registry Changes?

boshuter
12-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Does anyone know of a way to monitor changes to the registry after installing a new app or driver? I'm talking about backing up the registry, doing the install, then trying to see what changes were made in the registry.... without having to read through it line by line.

sodface
12-23-2005, 08:38 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is Regmon (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html). It's very cool, if you haven't tried it, but it's a real-time monitor and may not be exactly what you are looking for. You can start it and then set the filters to show you only registry activity by a certain process, activity etc. to see only what that one program is up to. Best of all it's free and extremely small, with no installation.

boshuter
12-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks sodface....... It's worth a shot.. I'll give it a try :thumb:

krazyndn411
12-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Spybot comes with a registry monitoring utility (i believe its called TeaTimer). I uninstalled it after it kept asking me whether i wanted to allow changes for every install.

boshuter
12-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Spybot comes with a registry monitoring utility (i believe its called TeaTimer). I uninstalled it after it kept asking me whether i wanted to allow changes for every install.

I've seen that in Spybot but never chose to install it, or even took the time to find out exactly what it does:o I downloaded that program sodface posted and it's very cool, I haven't had time to really see if it will do what I want yet... too much going on til xmas is over;)