PDA

View Full Version : "Must-have" apps under 1mb

sodface
12-15-2003, 08:27 PM
I'm a sucker for small apps that try to do one thing really well...

Here's a couple that I can think of right now that weigh in under 1mb:

Daemon tools, virtual cd/dvd-rom emulator.
Linky (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/download.php)

RealVNC, remote pc control via network.
Linky (http://www.realvnc.com/download.html)

pointreyes
12-15-2003, 08:35 PM
putty

are two that come to me right now.

sodface
12-15-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by pointreyes
putty

are two that come to me right now.

Are those win32 or unix?

And what are they? Google is great but "top" didn't get me too far :p

pointreyes
12-15-2003, 09:59 PM
top is unix/linux land-one of the best apps I use.

putty is windows land for emulating telnet sessions but it's more than the telnet you get with Windows. e.g. you can cut-n-paste text in the text based window. And here's a nice benefit. In the Citrix environment I have access to I'm are not allowed to use the Windows based telnet utility. But putty is like Mozilla's Firebird, no registry installation is required so you can actually use putty in Citrix. That little utility made it possible for me to fix a problem from home install of working at the office in the wee hours of the night. :)

sodface
12-16-2003, 08:04 AM
ftp client, no longer being updated but still works like a champ.

leechftp - 809kb

KingTermite
03-30-2004, 05:35 AM
Great Thread Idea !! Although....on today's computer systems, I don't think the requirement needs to be quite so small as 1MB. But I too am a huge fan of tools that just do one thing and do it well. :thumb:

RealVNC is a good one...I use that too.

Beyond Compare is over 1 mb, but the best file compare tool I've ever used....especially when comparing versions of text files (e.g. programming source code in my case).

Acronis Partition Expert is probably over 1mb too, but by far the best partition tool I've used. Within 30 seconds I was soooo glad I got it and dumped Partition Magic.

sodface
03-30-2004, 04:09 PM
I will have to check out Beyond Compare. Does it do directory comparisons also?

KingTermite
03-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Ooooooh Yes it does directory comparison! I've seen it do 500 MB directory copares in probably less than a minute (maybe ben 30 seconds). It has a nice color coded folder tree view that will show you by color if identical, a different color if same, but some added, another color if same but some deleted, etc.....

One of my favorite features is the way it will line up 2 files if one has text inserted, it will still find where the two files synch back up so in the display they are still on same levels. You can even highlight inserted text and "copy" or "move" it back to other file.

GREAT file compare tool....for $30 shareware!

www.scootersoftware.com

KingTermite
03-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Another "must have" if you are a programmer and use Microsoft Visual Studio (v.6 or .Net) is a program called "Visual Assist" from www.wholetomato.com ! It takes productivity to the next level with an intellisense that is heads and tails above any built in intellisense by the normal Visual Studio.

sodface
03-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Another "must have" if you are a programmer and use Microsoft Visual Studio (v.6 or .Net) is a program called "Visual Assist" from www.wholetomato.com ! It takes productivity to the next level with an intellisense that is heads and tails above any built in intellisense by the normal Visual Studio.

Doh, haven't heard of that one either. I'm still using VB6 though I have .net and have installed it and messed about with it- I suppose I better get with the "program" pretty soon. :) Do you still find yourself using both or have you switched to .net exclusively?

You know something about vb6 that bugs me is that my scroll wheel doesn't work in the code and module windows - do you have this problem?

Mikki
03-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Great idea, this will go nicely with SCK's thread....;)

I'm a huge fan of Leech FTP also...:D

Would like to suggest UltraEdit32 also, which is Notepad on steroids and a fantastic app for coders of all sorts. This site was built, and more importantly modded, with it....;)

eva2000
03-31-2004, 12:03 AM
beyond compare is great it's recommended for vBulletin coders who hack their forum's php code and need to compare changes with new updates :)

realvnc - just started using and it's great :)

KingTermite
03-31-2004, 04:15 AM
Doh, haven't heard of that one either. I'm still using VB6 though I have .net and have installed it and messed about with it- I suppose I better get with the "program" pretty soon. :) Do you still find yourself using both or have you switched to .net exclusively?

You know something about vb6 that bugs me is that my scroll wheel doesn't work in the code and module windows - do you have this problem?

At work we use both (I'm one of only about 3 or 4 people who have gotten into VS.Net at work), but mostly work is Visual Studio 6 (VC++), but for personal stuff I've gone full C#.Net!

And yes....the scroll bar has never worked in VB6. But in .Net you have one compiler/development tool for all languages and it works just fine.

KingTermite
03-31-2004, 04:16 AM
Would like to suggest UltraEdit32 also, which is Notepad on steroids and a fantastic app for coders of all sorts. This site was built, and more importantly modded, with it....;)
You beat me...that was next on my list. It's the one editor I couldn't live without. I've been using it for about 4 years now I think (since about version 5 or 6...and they're up to 10 or 11).

I will admit though....It's starting to get a little too big for its britches....I think its perfect...he needs to quit adding things to it.

Mikki
03-31-2004, 04:25 AM
Yeah, sort of like ASeeDCee or whatever the name is...started out as the best image viewer in the world with essential tools, now it's so bloated you can't even use it....I'm back to the Windows Explorer viewer...:p

Hopefully they'll stop where they are with UltraEdit....:rolleyes:

Hawk
03-31-2004, 04:31 AM
I'm actually very suprised that no one has listed WinRar yet! :scratch: www.win-rar.com

This nifty little app weighs in at a whopping 981 bytes. . . :yikes:

:cool:

Mikki
03-31-2004, 04:34 AM
I thought about it....:D WinRar definitely fits the bill, it's lightweight and VERY good at what it does. It's one of the few apps I install right away after a reload....;):)

KingTermite
03-31-2004, 04:50 AM
Yeah, sort of like ASeeDCee or whatever the name is...started out as the best image viewer in the world with essential tools, now it's so bloated you can't even use it

Then let me add another app....best simple image viewer around and its free. Irfanview !! :rock: :thumb: :cool:

alphanumeric
04-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Google toolbar, Google Deskbar
XPantispy
tclock
tweakui
msconfig

KingTermite
04-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Google toolbar, Google Deskbar
XPantispy
tclock
tweakui
msconfig
I didn't think to mention the google toolbar...I couldn't live without that anymore! ;)

I'll have to look into this google office bar.

alphanumeric
04-05-2004, 12:01 PM
I haven't used the toolbar since I installed the deskbar. The Google deskbar lets you do a search without closing the explorer window you already have open. A second small window pops up with your search results in it. It's like picture in picture. I find it great for doing a quick search while posting on a forum. I only use the Google toolbar for popup blocking now. :thumbs:

KingTermite
04-05-2004, 12:35 PM
I haven't used the toolbar since I installed the deskbar. The Google deskbar lets you do a search without closing the explorer window you already have open. A second small window pops up with your search results in it. It's like picture in picture. I find it great for doing a quick search while posting on a forum. I only use the Google toolbar for popup blocking now. :thumbs:
That sounds VERY HANDY !! Going to go get it right now!! :) :thumbs: :thumbs:

Paragon
04-05-2004, 12:43 PM
I'd also like to recommend LeechGet 2004 a very good download manager that's equal to or IMHO better than the ones that you pay for, No Spyware either...It's slighly over a meg Link (http://www.leechget.net/en/)

KingTermite
08-21-2004, 03:14 AM
A few others....

Visual Assist - GREAT add-in for Visual Studio....takes intellisense to the next level. (www.wholetomato.com)

Process Explorer - Nifty little explorer type viewer for processes running in system. View down to the thread level. (www.sysinternals.com)

Wintasks 4 - Similar to process explorer, but more of a big commercial tool. You can view tasks in many different contexts, get more detailed info that the standard task manager.

SetX - Command line util from Win2k resouce kit and available free via MS website if you search. It is a command line tool which allows you to set system level environment variables from command line as long as you are admin. Great for setting system level environment variables from a batch file (like I've had to do many times).

Netwatch - Small explorer type window which allows you to view all your current shares and who's accessing them at the time. Also from the Win2k resource kit I belive and freely available from MS.

CDEX - Probably the best CD ripper out there. Exact Audio Copy is supposedly the most accurate, but I find it cumbersome to set up as it makes you find your own LAME encoder and plug it in and then have to know a lot about MP3 format to configure it. CDEX is a "real close" second and doesn't have any of the setup/configuration hassles. Been using it for a few years now.

sodface
08-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Process Explorer - Nifty little explorer type viewer for processes running in system. View down to the thread level.

I love sysinternals utilities. Regmon, Filemon and Process Explorer I've use a lot. Good stuff. :thumb: