PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with a x-mas present

Fossil
11-16-2003, 04:02 AM
My daughter's computer has bit the dust and I was thinking of putting one together for her for x-mas. I was looking at some upgrade packages with a Celeron but I noticed the motherboard used in the upgrade package was a SIS 651 chipset. In the last 10 years, I have only had one motherboard, Tyan 1854S that was not an Intel Chipset and AMD was a bad word in our house. I started to look for a cheap Intel Chipset MB and noticed from the Intels Website , the Intel MB's with the 845 and 865 chipset supports the 400 mhz celerons. Now Intel is kind of expensive so I started search MSI and others for a MB and i noticed that some of the boards with the 845 and 865 said "For Northwoods Only". So my question is whats the difference between the 845 chipset in a MSI board and the Intel board?

I found it so confusing that I started to look at AMD boards and thats a sin. The computer Gods have been watching me very closely on this purchase.

RotorHead
11-16-2003, 06:26 AM
Which boards were you looking at?

Your right that does seem a little strange.

dbwillis
11-16-2003, 08:28 AM
I have built several *(about 12) sysytems with the Biostar M6VLR, it takes SDRam and Socket 370 chips.

XP finds all the drivers during install...and it works really good for a basic PC, throw in a P3 650 ot 733 and its great

-onboard video
-onboard sound
-onboard LAN

Thor
11-16-2003, 08:44 AM
Inexpensive Intel motherboards with lan/sound/sata/video.

Look up Jetway motherboards.