PDA

View Full Version : What is the best FREE internet phone app?

traveler
07-31-2005, 12:53 PM
A year or two ago someone showed me a free phone service app where one could talk computer to computer over the internet for free. Each computer had to have the app installed, but the call between the computers was free.

I can't remember the name of the app nor can I find the link I had to the home webpage of the app.

Does anyone know what this computer to computer phone app is that I'm trying to remember?

:?: :cool: :?:

Snafu
07-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Skype perhaps? I use it and it runs great even with my measly lil modem. Search teh News forum. I posted a few links in there on Skype and maybe something on another VOIP service.

I have to laugh everytime I hear an ad from the phone company offering VOIP for just $20 a month :yikes: Guess folks don't know there is a free alternative and you can even call land lines for a small fee.

As PT Barhum once said "there's a sucker born every minute" :lol:

BTW Skype is also going to or just has offered video calling!

traveler
07-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks. :thumb:

I'll check it out.

:cool:

Hawk
08-01-2005, 02:25 AM
Skype, or the new Yahoo messenger Beta has it built in also. :yup:

traveler
08-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Skype is working very well!

I use the Skype out limited free calls in addition to Skype to Skype calling. So far no one receiving a Skype out internet to land line call from me has complained of any bad connection problems.

Snafu
08-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Glad to hear it traveler :thumb:

Now I can't understand why anyone would pay for VOIP when it's free :scratch:

traveler
08-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Glad to hear it traveler :thumb:

Now I can't understand why anyone would pay for VOIP when it's free :scratch:

Not all features are free. The pay part is for unrestricted calling out to all land lines. Also for any phone number one might want to acquire for incoming calls.

Acecare
08-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Skype is the best alternative for voip phone call. The fact that they can make free calls here. Actually, I am also using this Skype.