PDA

View Full Version : Program refuses to close

traveler
07-22-2005, 08:09 AM
I get the following error message on occasion when I try to close mIRC -

"This program cannot be closed. If it is being debugged, please resume it or close the debugger first."

The program won't close and it won't restore to a full window from its icon on the taskbar.

What do I do to get it to gracefully close?

:?: :cool: :?:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe / BIOS 1008 Final
Intel P4 2.4c @2.604 / Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu / Arctic Silver Ceramique
2x512 Mushkin PC3500 222 Black Hi Performance Level II @2-2-2-5
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro / Sony G400 19" Trinitron Monitor
Western Digital 250 Gb Special Edition hdd / Western Digital 250 Gb RAID Edition hdd
Asus 40/12/48 cd-rw / LiteOn XJ-HD166s 16x DVD-Rom
Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum / CambridgeSoundworks 5.1 DTT 3500 Digital speakers
Logitech Dual Optical Mouse / Logitech WebCam Traveler
Onboard LAN
Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Switch / Linksys EPSX3 EtherFast 3-Port Printserver
SMC7008ABR Barricade router
win2000

traveler
07-30-2005, 01:32 PM
And again this happens.

What do I do?

I find nothing about debugging in the process viewer or app window. I find nothing that helps in any of the Windows 2000 books I have.

I'm tired of having to hard reboot out of this. Or is this a true bug in win2000?

traveler
08-05-2005, 09:59 AM
I got a hint from someone at another forum. Something to do with the KILL function command.

:cool:

Disposibleteen
08-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Ending the task in the task manager doesnt work?

traveler
08-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I get the following error message on occasion when I try to close mIRC -

"This program cannot be closed. If it is being debugged, please resume it or close the debugger first."

The program won't close and it won't restore to a full window from its icon on the taskbar.

What do I do to get it to gracefully close?

Thanks for your reply Disposibleteen.

Any and all methods attempting to close a program including trying to close using the task manager will give the same debugging message. How do I close the debugger?

MIRC is not the only program with which this happens

RotorHead
08-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Try ALT+F4 I found that in the MKB :scratch:

traveler
08-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Try ALT+F4 I found that in the MKB :scratch:

I just installed SP4. Let's see if that helps.

What's MKB?

sodface
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
What's MKB?
Microsoft Knowledge Base ?

traveler
08-17-2005, 07:06 AM
What's MKB?

Thanks.

I will go there and see what it says.

Alt+F4 certainly does close an app. Let's see if it does it with the debugger error window going.

traveler
08-17-2005, 07:34 AM
I laughed when I saw this.

Go to googgle and put -

into the search window.

:lol: :yikes: :lol:

traveler
08-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Came across this -

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/

It's supposed to be more powerful than the windows task manager and can supposedly shut down the misbehaving app.

RotorHead
08-17-2005, 09:04 AM
What's MKB?

Thanks.

Alt+F4 certainly does close an app. Let's see if it does it with the debugger error window going.

Sorry about that, I should have said this is supposed to close the debugger program, or stop the debug process.

Its about the only thing I found in the Microsoft Knowledge Base that come close to what you are trying to do.

joeMan
08-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Found this at PC Mag:

In Windows 2000, Msconfig is not available, so you will have to disable MDM in the Registry. Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\RunServices. If you find a value that references the Machine Debug Manager or MDM, delete it.

Maybe this will help, I don't know. Careful in the registry man.

traveler
08-17-2005, 09:56 AM
What's MKB?

Thanks.

Sorry about that, I should have said this is supposed to close the debugger program, or stop the debug process.

Its about the only thing I found in the Microsoft Knowledge Base that come close to what you are trying to do.

What debugger program? If I could find it maybe I could close it. I tried closing "the debugger first."

traveler
08-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Found this at PC Mag:

In Windows 2000, Msconfig is not available, so you will have to disable MDM in the Registry. Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\RunServices. If you find a value that references the Machine Debug Manager or MDM, delete it.

Maybe this will help, I don't know. Careful in the registry man.

I do run msconfig in my win2000 installation. Machine Debug Manager? Hmmmmm. Let me try to find that one.

traveler
08-17-2005, 10:05 AM
I just ran a search for "MDM" and came up empty. There are a lot of files with "MDM" but nothing that looks related to a Machine Debug Manager. :irk:

dotcommie
02-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Here's something for fixing that, there's a possible Dr. Watson issue:

This page has my first clue: http://www.software-one.org/new-4310547-4703.html

This page is MS's plan:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188296

You may have to restart in Safe mode to be able to delete the key (MS forgets to mention this...).

Just Learnin'
02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Also if you use Daemon Tools it loads an SPTD driver which conflicts with any Debugger programs. Just something for consideration.